Fraging

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JRBear5658

I have heard many different ways to frag soft corals, I am wanting to frag a stalk of my xenia and place on a different rock how is the best way of doing that or how has other done it in the past?:confused: :confused: :confused:

just put toothpick in the base of xenia? Do I ever have to take the tooth pick out? and how do I put toothpick in the rock?(Just in a crevis or something?)

Be careful, Xenia will take over the tank. Ironically a lot of people frag it to get more...about 6 months later they are fragging it to get less.:D

Xenia can be cut, or it peels real well too...it is stringy like celery. You can take a stalk, peel it down to the base, or wherever it comes free and toothpick it down. The tooth pick will go through the xenia and into a crevice or a hole...somewhere where it will wedge in and not come loose. The xenia will attach itself usually in a day or two, then you can pull the toothpick out.

I snip the head off a stalk with sisscors, leaving a bit of stalk behind.(i tried scapels and dykes, sisscors are definately the most effective)

I find a chunk of rubble. I set the chunk I snipped off on the new rock, and toss a rubber band around it. In about 3 days, its grown well onto the rock and its a sellable frag. Then I snip the rubber band and pull it out.

In a week or so, that stalk you left on the rock will re-grow a new head that you can snip again.

Done. Its the most simple to propagte of all the sofies. However, I use basically the same method for all different types of sofies. If the soft coral is thriving in the enviroment, you can just cut off a chunk from basically any coral in any part and it will regrow a new animal from that chunk. The trick is just in knowing which parts to cut to enable it to easily attach to something again.

Or also you can cut it with a sharp scissor or a blade. If you can remove it outside of your tank while cutting so much the better.

Then if you can buy netting from craft store. Then you can use this to envelope it to a rubble or a small piece of rock... Then a week or two it will attach. Make sure that you dont put the netting too tight.

Have fun.

BTW. If you dont want for your coral to scatter around or to grow somewhere else. You can position them to the highest part of a rock that you are attaching too. Make sure that it wont reach any rocks besides it. Then it will stay there for a long time.

I have used a needle and thread in the past... and just sew it on to a piece of rubble... I knew I was forced to take home ec for a reason :idea:

Back