Friggin Fragging Corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trido

Fish Tank Freak
Believe it or not, one of my least favorite parts of this hobby is fragging corals. Having corals in my frag tank for me, is worse than the task of cutting and glueing them. Keep in mind, I'm a fish tank freak and have had at least one tank in my house since 1988. Now days I dont really like to get my hands wet unless I'm catching salmon with my friend Todd. Having a frag tank full of corals is like having a second display that needs tending too to keep the corals from killing each other and to keep the algea's at bay.
Because of my i'll feeling toward friggin fragging corals I tend to let them grow quite large before I feel the need to cut them up. This week is one such week. I spent three hours making frags tonight and didn't get to finish before lights out.

I thought I'd share some of the drama with you. My wife feels that every polyp of SPS is living being worth saving so she gets a bit dramatic when she hears me say that half of this coral is "garbage". Calcium reactor media in my case. It all gets recycled.

FOR SOME REASON RF WONT LET ME DOWNLOAD PICS. I'LL POST THEM IN THE MORNING

Most of the work happened on the right side of the tank.
IMG_4617_zps3d952b65.jpg

Getting started
IMG_4619_zps64180b78.jpg

These four were grown together. Of course with all oversized corals they have to break apart just as your bringing them over the rim of the tank. These are about 16 inches across from left to right.
IMG_4621_zps8b4f890c.jpg

The last of the four
IMG_4627_zpsdf5751d3.jpg

This is what a small frag rack looks like when it's overloaded.
IMG_4633_zps81206e00.jpg

IMG_4634_zps77ece6e4.jpg

The display lights will come on an a few minutes and I'll get an after shot. I also have to get back to work organizing that messy frag tank.

Trido the success you have in growing corals most reefers would beg for! Even though you "hate" fragging so much it is a testament to your sucess in the hobby! Congrats on a great job.

Awesome tank and sweet sps colonies!!! Definitely interested in a decent sized pink birdsnest... What are you selling the frags for.?.?

Man... I can stop looking at those pink birdsnest colonies... I want one of those bigger ones so bad lol :)

Awesome tank and sweet sps colonies!!! Definitely interested in a decent sized pink birdsnest... What are you selling the frags for.?.?
Sadly that colony didn't like being fragged and most of the tips have a bit of STN. I'm not sure anyone is going to be wanting one at this time.

Aww man... That's sad, but maybe it'll recover with time. I'd sit on it for a while then. Let me know though!

Your tank now looks so BARE!!

Better put some of them back in there. LOL

There are many reefers here that wish to have your need to trim your crop so often.

I thinned my crop out about a month ago.

Thanks for all the reefing appraise everyone. Part of my success is years of tank husbandry experience, 25 to be exact. And also, being part of the Reef frontiers, PSAS and greater Seattle reefing community is critical IMO to have a great reef tank. A lot of these corals were given to me by reefers that years ago I gave to them. I try to stay active as much as possible so I don't get set in my ways causing me to get complacent and cocky thinking I know everything.

Creating this thread not only keeps me active in the hobby, it helps kick a little bit of life back into RF.

Creating this thread not only keeps me active in the hobby, it helps kick a little bit of life back into RF.

I hear you on that one! I've been pretty lame keeping this forum alive....but i am trying again!!

I think many of us here at RF have been a bit complacent over the summer. To much to do while we have good weather.
I think we will see an up swing on the site now that the time has changed as has the weather.

I think many of us here at RF have been a bit complacent over the summer. To much to do while we have good weather.
I think we will see an up swing on the site now that the time has changed as has the weather.

That's for sure. Fish tank season has returned to Washington.

Back