Frog Spawn Fraging

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefbobc

I have a Frog Spawn that is getting bigger and it is on a piece of coral that I'd like to remove it from and attach it somewhere else. I've never done this before, so how do I get it off of where it's attached? And what is the best way to attach it somewhere else?:)

I am wondering the same thing. Being new to all this there is a lot to learn. I will tag along.

Frogspawn is easy to frag. Just picture splitting the wishbone, at Thanksgiving. Very similar. The skeleton is very porous and brittle. It cuts are breaks very easily. Bone cutters will give you more control, but you can break it with your fingers as well. Just make sure to break it far enough from any tissue that it won't leave sharp edges of skeleton, that tissue can come in contact with. Having enough skeleton will also make it much easier to place in your tank.

Frogspawn is easy to frag. Just picture splitting the wishbone, at Thanksgiving. Very similar. The skeleton is very porous and brittle. It cuts are breaks very easily. Bone cutters will give you more control, but you can break it with your fingers as well. Just make sure to break it far enough from any tissue that it won't leave sharp edges of skeleton, that tissue can come in contact with. Having enough skeleton will also make it much easier to place in your tank.

Thanks. That is helpful. So I don't want to entirely remove it from the skeleton right?

Not at all. The polyps are attached to the skeleton, and need to stay attached. Once you disturb the polyps, and make them retract, you'll see that it's a bunch of polyps, with skeleton between each polyp. The skeleton branches. At the point where 2 branches meet, you can easily split it. So, figure out how many polyps you want to frag, find an area of skeleton that works for the number of polyps you want, and snap the skeleton.

Or use a dremel cuts thru it really fast and makes a nice smooth cut. But do it at the base of the branch.

Is it the same with fragging most corals?

Not even close. Frogspawn is one of the easiest to frag.

Zoas you cut off the base of the colony and glue to a plug or rubble.

Shrooms you cut right across the mouth and attach to a plug or rubble.

Everything varies. Some stuff is much easier than other stuff to frag.

Back