Full of Water at last !

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Rene Newtank

I am typing this from Western Australia, PERTH after reading this website for the last 3 months I have finally made the start, my fresh sea water was delivered on Sunday. Basics are ;

500 litre (50 gal) curved face glass aquarium
140 lbs of live rock from queensland (Great barrier reef area)
Wierpro venturi protien skimmer
1200 l/hr canister filter (no media)
2 x power heads 2500 l/hr
10mm (0.5) inch sandbead (not live)
3 x 130 watt (14,000 K) compact fluroesent
2 tube 28 watt blue coral lamps

Proposed inhabitants
Sand sifting goby
clown and anenome
coral banded shrimp
some snails & hermit crabs
various softies and LPS only

Two questions are ;

When should my skimmer start collecting foam
Can you ID the hitchhikers that came on the live rock

Welcome to RF and congrats on the setup!! The tank looks great!:) As for the skimmer, if it is brand new, sometimes they have a "break-in" period of up to a week or more (sometimes less) so it may take a while to produce some skimmate. I'd just keep an eye on it and give it time if it is brand new. As for the hitchhikers, couldn't say for sure...I'm sure the others will chime in soon so good luck!:)

score on the blue worm that thing is nice it looks like a cocoworm but I do not think they come in blue.

Thanks very much for the response, Blue tree thing (Tube worm ?)
does look good so my question is will survive the cycle ?

The little red mouth thing is also light sensitive and will shrink and close the mouth when it's light changes,

also there are some mussells (small) are they OK ? Will they survive the cycle,

Any feed back is greatly appreciated

The Christmas Tree Worm, or Jewel Stone, was first described by scientists in 1766. Its crown comes in a variety of different colors, but is always paired. Usually, just the crown, which is spiraled in the shape of a Christmas tree, is seen; its body is hidden within the host coral. It has an operculum (top trap door) that covers its tube when it withdraws its crown. There are often several Christmas Tree Worms in the same area, though they do not live in close groups.

The Christmas Tree Worm is somewhat shy of movement and prefers to be in the shade of rocky overhangs, out of the bright light. It is very intolerant of copper-based medications.

Breeding in the home aquarium is very rare.

Since it is purely a filter feeder, the diet of the Christmas Tree Worm should be supplemented with liquid plankton-based foods.

The Christmas Tree Worm is normally shipped with several individuals attached to a small peice of live rock or rubble.

Nice tank! I really like your rock arrangement! I love those type of worms. I hope it survives.

Debbie

Very nice. Stay up on your water with water changes etc to keep the NH3 at a min. It will greatly increase the chances of your hitchhikers making it.

Thanks guy's great advice ...
I have just purchased 2 x Tunze 6045 (nano) get the water moving
and reduce heat input i.e. current power heads are 30 watt each the
Tunze are only 7 watt each.

Main reason for this is I hace noticed my temp creeping up to 30 C
(86 F) hoping to avoid the need for chiller.

Also have instruction on setting water level in skimmer this should help.

Back