FW bacteria and SW bacteria

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MarineTeng

Reef Padawan
i'm thinking of converting my FW tank into a FO salt water i have two pengiuns that seems to be very well populated for bacteria as i haven't changed the water in many months, i'm geussing before summer and only lost one fish that was at least a few years old, will it cause any problems, i'll clean the tubes of hair algae and stuff, anyone for see any problems with this idea, or should i just do the normal cycle should i decide to do this
Thanks
Andrew

Freshwater bacteria die off when exposed to saltwater. You'll need to do the entire cycle.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but congrats on setting up another tank!

Saltwater is a whole new thing. Re-cycle the tank and you'll be fine. But be sure you do weekly water changes once your tank is cycled, you shouldn't let saltwater go months with out a change.

Last edited:
make sure you wash and rinse the equipment from the FW tank well before you use it in your SW setup....all that gunk and dead bacteria can release a lot of excess nutrients into your system...

MikeS

ok, thanks for the heads up, i haven't used meds on my tank in a few years so i think i'll be fine, all i've ever had trouble with is ich

You can place cuprisorb from seachem to your chemical filter to treat the copper properly !!I changed 70% of the water and stired the silica sand ,and I droped the salt in.Two weeks later amonia and nitrite were zero.........I know this is not the right way to do the things, but it worked on me!!

Back