Gambling on new lights

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

akaatomic

I ordered lights today. It's an Odyssea 760w fixture with 2x250w MH and 4x65w PC actinics. Their reputation sucks, but the deal is too sweet to ignore. $360 shipped is worth gambling on for me. It has an electronic MH ballast, so I should be able to fire better bulbs when I go to replace. I was also thinking of changing the actinics for 50/50's. I'll see how it looks and if it works first.

keep us posted that light setup is suppose to be there new and improved. your right about the price its kinda hard to ignore. does anyone else out there have these lights?

I bought an odyssea skimmer, you are right about their reputation, my skimmer sprung a leak almost immediately and the quality wasn't very good. However, they sent me a replacement part very quickly and the skimmer works just fine. We will have to see how their lights do.

Tim

This is a new generation of lights, so it's either full of new problems or better than the last version (which supposedly caught fire). I have an Odyssea PC light over my frag tank and I've been running it 18hrs a day for the last four months with no problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed and let you guys know how I make out.

I run the lights on my frag tank opposite and overlapping my display. It's only a 65w 50/50 bulb. I'd like things to grow and propogate in that tank, so I figured the more light the better.

Ben I read somewhere that Oddssea lights are not UL listed or maybe you told me. Bulbs alone are worth almost that much. Are the MH DE's? I paid 300 for 4x65 PC with moon light orbit I think

That's the million dollar question. I'll let you know if it's UL listed. I'm debating on whether to keep my PC fixture for my FOWLR tank or sell it on eBay and recover a few bucks.

I have a standard 40w flourescent on the FOWLR tank now. It lights the tank, but that's about it.

coralife has a 2 buld 56 watt t-5 set up that gives a nice look and there only 48.00 they have them at that pet place.

Well my new lights are up and running. I'm very pleased so far. The unit is well built, I like the color and everything went smoothly with the purchase and delivery. Getting metal halides is like a caveman discovering fire. What a huge difference. I think that I'm going to sell my PC fixture and pick up a small T-5 setup at TPP like Steve suggested. I haven't taken new pics yet, but here's a thread on RC from some other guy who took pics and reviewed.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1037172

Back