GARF rock/caves

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

skylersdad

hey again,

building out the 120 reef but want to minimize impact to natual reefs so want to go with man made rock. does the GARF stuff work OK? are there other options?

thank you for your time

There are several aquacultured live rock companies that operate out of the gulf of mexico. I have used their live rock exclusively and it is easily as good as anything out there.

hey again,

building out the 120 reef but want to minimize impact to natual reefs so want to go with man made rock. does the GARF stuff work OK? are there other options?

thank you for your time

When I tried to get up my first reef tank (around 4 years ago), I made my own Aragocrete and custom "background" to look like natural caves. It took forever to make, but man was I proud of how great it looked when I finished-- and that was without any coral or coraline.

I cured it for around 4 months...did a ridiculous number of water changes, and after it all still couldn't even keep a damsel alive. I finally ended up hauling it to the curb.

This time around I've made about every mistake a newbie reefer can make (but had real rock), and have only lost a handful of sps frags, everything else is doing great...so I definitely blame the home made rock for my past failure.

I'm not saying it's not a great idea, and for all I know I just happened to get something in my cement mix that wouldn't normally be there...but I followed the instructions to a T, and it ended up costing me about six months, a perfectly good tank, and a bunch of bags of aragonite for my trouble. :)

The overall effect you can create by making your own is fantastic, and there are other obvious benefits, like being able to pre-form holes for frag plugs, etc...but all in all I don't think I'd try it again. If you're in a metro area it's easy enough to find cheap rock on craigslist that's already been stolen from the reef and should be recycled.

Others seem to have had a lot more success than me, so YMMV.

(for what it's worth, I was recently told my one of the local shops that any rock purchased from Florida is concrete that's just been sitting in the ocean curing and collecting wildlife... He said there hasn't actually been major rock removal from there in some time (over a decade), but I have no idea how accurate that is).

Last edited:
(for what it's worth, I was recently told my one of the local shops that any rock purchased from Florida is concrete that's just been sitting in the ocean curing and collecting wildlife... He said there hasn't actually been major rock removal from there in some time (over a decade), but I have no idea how accurate that is).

That sounds like a local LFS trying to talk someone out of buying real live rock via mail order for half of what he wants to charge for the stuff he has in the store.

Actually, these guys in the gulf get quaried limestone and dump it onto the gulf floor. They each own plots of land in the gulf. These rocks over a period of around three years are basically turned into live rock as beneficial bacteria and microbs inhabit the rock.

check out gulf-view.com or tampabaysaltwater.com

I probably have bought around 400 lbs of rock from those 2 places. Most beautiful stuff I had found anywhere. Covered in coralline, small corals, macro plants, brittle stars. Great rock..

Back