General question about used barrels

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

twilliard

What next?
Hey I just got 2 55 gallon barrels and need to know if they are safe or can be safe for saltwater storage.
They contained windsheild washer fluid from our local oil changing place.

Can I clean them out to use to mix my salt water?
If so I can start to build my automated water system :)

Before using this, I would go to the place where you got the drums and ask to see the MSDS sheet from a recent shipment so you know what the ingredients of the washer fluid was. If they don't have the MSDS, then find out the brand and follow up on it yourself.

I would be very careful about storing water in barrels that were used for chemicles.. make sure and find out the proper way to clean them before you do use them..

Matt

HMM never thought of the MSDS LOL and I deal with that at work. I feel dumb now.

I was water and methanol alcohol. I will go search

Last edited:
Most washer fluid is alcohol based. Rinse well and leave in the sun for the uv to break anything left down.

Knowing these originally had chemicals in them, I would have to ask myself;

If I stored fresh water in this for 2 days, would "I" be willing to drink all of that water???

Todd, I don't think it will be a problem. There was a guy on RC who used these exact 55-gallon barrels for his water changing system and he never had any trouble. I think he did say he washed them out really well though.

If you're interested I could try to find the link. He had some good automation ideas; he was even crazier than I am.

i use similar ones and never had a problem. like previously stated i rinsed scrubbed and rinsed again. then i filled and let sit to leach out anything left in the plastic then drained and gave them a suntan!

mix up some salt water, and slosh it around in there for a while..

salt water is a excellent cleanser

Todd, I don't think it will be a problem. There was a guy on RC who used these exact 55-gallon barrels for his water changing system and he never had any trouble. I think he did say he washed them out really well though.

If you're interested I could try to find the link. He had some good automation ideas; he was even crazier than I am.

Hey Brian that would be great!
I was thinking of your setup while trying to get this together. It would be great to automate some of this.
Have some ideas?

Hey Brian that would be great!
I was thinking of your setup while trying to get this together. It would be great to automate some of this.
Have some ideas?

Yeah, plan everything so you never have to lift another bucket in your life! Get a few of those American DJ power centers, lots of pumps and PVC pipe/valves, and you're off to the races. Use gravity to your advantage if you have the room.

Here's a few links to the guy's threads. He has some good ideas.

The One Minute Saltwater Mixing System
The Two Minute Water Change
RO/DI for Dummies

All of them are worth the read if you have the time. Personally I use the Litermeter III with the auxilliary pumps to do automated continuous water changes. That's a pricey route to go but I recommend it if you have the money.

Last edited:
You bet. Remember true-union valves are your friend. They are pricey but you'll regret it later if you don't put them where you need them (i.e. around pumps).

Back