Glass Anemone

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dutch-1969

Greetings,

I have a problem starting in my 50g tank and I want to take the proper action. What is the best solution to get ride of these glass Anemone's?

Thank you for your advise.

Yes, I have found a few small glass anemone's and would like to take care of this little issue befre it become's a very big issue or worse a PEST.

Please advise what to do......

Thank you very much.

I would get kalkwasser aka pickling lime from walmart make it into a think paste and inject them in the mouth or better epoxy and supper glue them. I find super glue epoxy method works better in smaller groups of aptisias there is also other products you can buy but all in all do the same thing.

Here's what I do to get rid of them, and it seems to work great:

Get a shot of tank water, add in a tsp or 2 or salt to make it 'heavy' so it sinks.

Mix in kalkwasser paste until it is the consistency of mayonaisse.

Shut off power heads and any flow that is easily shut down (i leave my return pump on and it doesn't cause problems)

Using a 5 ml syringe, put the paste onto the aptasia. Cake it all over it. The aptasia will probably try to eat some of the paste, and that is fine.

Wait 10 minutes, then suck the paste and aptasia out using a syphon hose. Once the paste/aptasia are removed, turn the flow back on in the tank.

And its gone! If you miss sucking it out, it will probably open back up in a few days, and you can try again.

I've tried many methods, such as injecting them with various things, but this seems the easiest (since you don't have to inject the stalk) and it does a great job of getting rid of them without them spreading.

rob

Back