Glass or Acrylic tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DougH

I'm looking to get back into a reef tank hobbie again after 20 years.

No equipment yet, I'm considering used stuff in excellent condition or maybe new.

Considering a 75-90 gal, for fish, soft corals & anemones. Maybe hard corals w/ MH lamps.

As far as the tank and sump go, which is better: Pre-drilled glass or Acrylic tanks? Is the Oceanic brand glass tanks any good for reef use?

Local stores have different opinions, some say the glass tanks can leak due to Saltwater interacting with the silicone sealants, others say the Acrylic tanks scratch way to easily with the live rock? I'm not planning on moving the rock much and certainly don't want to reseal a glass tank after a few years. Thoughts? Which you decide on for an ideal system?

Thanks

Glass tanks all leak. It usually takes ten years or more but the bond between acrylic is much stronger. I prefer the look of glass but have trouble trusting factory seals above two hundred gallons. The acrylic is easier to drill but if you go with pre-drilled they are the same. I would go with the 90 over the 70 especially if you go with a deep sand bed.

First Welcome to RF man!!!! Glad you found us.

As for Glass or arylic. I have used glass all my Reefing days. I have never had a problem with factory seals myself. Glass Like Starphire can not be beat, It makes fish look like they are floating on air. Acrylic is good as well, but ifeel the drawback with it is it scratches so easy, But thats me. I would go 90 gallon Glass and have it drilled for closed loop. But that just my opinion.

Back