Glass tank drilling

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

skidclan4

Any specific tricks used to know if a tank can be drilled? I have heard some tanks have tempered glass and cannot be drilled. I just purchased a tank used from someone and have no idea of the manufacturer.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Most All-Glass Aquriums only have tempered bottoms that cannot be drilled. As for the sides i believe they are fair game. Though i do not know for sure. I'm sure someone will chime in and help you out.

almost all tanks are standard glass on the sides,front, and back. bottoms are often tempered whih should not be drilled. find a diamond hole saw FOR GLASS and esu water, light pressure and slow speed.

I have drilled many tanks through the bottom. Usually tempered glass will have a label. the best way to do it is,

buy your bit on ebay at this link

http://stores.ebay.com/THK-Diamond-Tools

I think I paid about $15 after shipping (it's in China) make sure you get your conversion right from metric. A hair to big is better than a hair to small.

when you drill the tank make a barrier around your hole with something like duct tape and fill it with water so the bit stays cool and wet.
the more water the better.

be sure to keep your drill vertical and do not put too much pressure.

It usually only takes about 2 or three minutes to drill the hole.

there will probably be slight chips in glass on the inside of the hole but the bulkhead should cover it no problem.

I drilled my 65g tank using a borrowed cylindrical diamond drill bit, hammer drill, and a "stencil" I made out of two rectangular pieces of wood.

I made the stencil by drilling a whole in one of the pieces of wood using a wood-drilling drill bit the same size as the cylindrical diamond drill bit. The other piece of wood is just a solid rectangle. So then I clamped this stencil onto the glass and sprayed the glass I was about to drill with water... then just drilled through. It took awhile, but it wasn't all that hard.

I might add that I did all this will most the water and all the livestock still in my tank. I know that's not all that smart. But I have a DSB, so I didn't have much a choice.

However you decide to do it... good luck!

Welcome to RF sihaya!

That was pretty risky drilling with all livestock and all. I know i would have been sweating while doing that.

And yeah, it was pretty risky. I wouldn't recommend it or anything. I just didn't have a choice. And I was sweating!

I have actually just finished drilling holes in the back of my glass tank. I was very nervous to start as all I have heard is negaative things about dilling glass. I drilled 14 holes in the back of my 6ft tank, and i must say it was really easy. At no stage in the process was i at all worried. Just take your time and use plenty of water, you will be fine.

I will post some pics of my tank soon so you can see it

That is cool, what size holes did you drill & how thick was the glass, also how far aprt did you drill from each hole?
Just getting Ideas on what can be done on glass~~

That's alot of holes on that size tank. I would be cautious as your back pane is going to be weakened quite a bit with that many holes. They say acrylic does not lose it's strength but glass does. What size are they? and what is the placement of them? Pictures would be great...

I have placed them in a similar arrangement to nikki's tank. ie 4X1.5" outputs to closed loops and 8 X 3/4" inputs. the other 2 are 1.5" sump returns. The glass is 12mm glass (not sure what you say but around 0.5"). I havent filled it with water yet so will have to wait and see. I have spoken to enigineers on this and they say it only weakens it through possible cracks during the drilling process???

I agree it weakens it through cracks or chips in the glass but it is also weakened from the holes in the glass. I have seen 2 tanks rupture from this process, 1 from a tiny crack near 1 drilled hole and the other from a piece of liverock falling and hitting the back wall. It hit the back wall dead center and the rear wall exploded. It was a small rock but I guess it didn't matter. Good luck with yours, hopefully their are no slight cracks near the drilled holes...

When I had my sump drilled I had them sand it down smooth, I would do every hole. You could put a starboard bottom & back, just make the holes around the bh's & silicone each together, I think you can get it in a black color also, If you feel nervous about hitting that area.

It is used on boats, similar to the white cutting boards, you could get something similar. I would sand the holes real well, & when plumbing make darn sure you don't force anything you glue up, no pressure on the holes, & get the heavy duty BH's & just hand tighten them. I would think you would be ok, you'll find out as soon as you fill the tank, if your scared do it outside as a test, if it would break by any chance you can get the back replaced.

I am not even goi9ng to feel bad for you when the back of your tank explodes you should have neever drilled 14 holes my lfs has several tanks that the back has blown out due to too many holes 14 holes for a 125 is way way to many they have a 125 gallon acrylic tank that had 14 holes in it and the back of it broke and its acrylic with 14 holes you have about an average of 2.9 holes per foot good luck with that its gonna be a bummer when it breaks its not a matter of if its a matter of when

as far as drilling glass its very easy use 1 inch foam tape then tape around the hole and fill it with vegitable oil then drill the vegtible oil work as a better lube then water just dont put 14 holes in your tank though

Well, I just had mine drilled, Documented he whole process. its linked in my sig. Frugal reefer. No big deal as long as it is done correctly.

Back