Going bare bottom

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

StacyS

Today I started the process of going BB in my 75 gallon. I decided the process should happen over time, but after removing half of a five gallon bucket of sand, I'm thinking this will drive me nuts! Can I remove my 2-3 inch sand bed all at once or will I totally wack out my chemistry? I will still have a good amount of sand remaining in my refugium/sump.

Second question...will my leopard wrasse move into the rocks to sleep or should a make him a container of sand off to the side?

Thank you!

Everything I've read about leopard wrasses states that they need a deep sand bed. I've never heard of one sleeping in the rocks. They often dive into the sand when spooked and can damage their mouths without enough sand. Why go BB?

Taking out the sand shouldn't mess with the chemistry right away I wouldn't imagine. It does help buffer, but the biggest thing if you pull all the sand at once, you're going to lose a huge population of bacteria and most likely will go through a mini cycle.

Taking out the sand shouldn't mess with the chemistry right away I wouldn't imagine. It does help buffer, but the biggest thing if you pull all the sand at once, you're going to lose a huge population of bacteria and most likely will go through a mini cycle.

Even if there is sand still in the sump?

The sand in your tank is covered in bacteria, billions. The glass underneath your sand has nothing. You take out that sand and the bacteria will have to populate the glass. That's going to take a while and the ammonia that was normally taken in and processed won't be until that population grows back.

I recently took out my sand, but left it in the back for the simple reason i didnt want to mess up my rock work and stun my corals! Also my sump is bare with a skimmer & I didnt lose bacteria or go threw a mini cycle what so ever! A nice size water change & check all my parameters and everything seems kosher!

Dont get me wrong i love the sand look!
I cant seem to get the current i want with sand it blows everywhere
and those darn snails that siff threw my sand roll all over my corals on the sand bed and close them up when i feed the tank :( It got annoying so i removed most of the snails and left a few for the remanding sand in the back!
I'm almost close to getting it the way i want it, mad current replacing your basic coral with le coral!

I recently took out my sand, but left it in the back for the simple reason i didnt want to mess up my rock work and stun my corals! Also my sump is bare with a skimmer & I didnt lose bacteria or go threw a mini cycle what so ever! A nice size water change & check all my parameters and everything seems kosher!

How can you not lose bacteria? How do you know you didn't go through a mini cycle? Our tanks go through mini cycles and you'd never know it unless you check your ammonia and trites constantly. If you take out all your sand, you will lose bacteria, that's just a simple fact. The bacteria doesn't fall off the sand when you're pulling it out and stay in the tank.

How can you not lose bacteria? How do you know you didn't go through a mini cycle? Our tanks go through mini cycles and you'd never know it unless you check your ammonia and trites constantly. If you take out all your sand, you will lose bacteria, that's just a simple fact. The bacteria doesn't fall off the sand when you're pulling it out and stay in the tank.

I checked both & they were fine! If you read carefully on what i said i left half of it in my tank not all of its gone!

I checked both & they were fine! If you read carefully on what i said i left half of it in my tank not all of its gone!

k, so you lost half of the population of bacteria that was on your sand then. Stacy wants to take out all of it at once. All of the bacteria on the sand will be gone. Whenever you lose bacteria like that, whether it's all of you tank or half, you will get an ammonia spike followed by a nitrite spike and finally your nitrates. Like I said, just because you didn't measure one, doesn't mean it didn't happen cause I can guarantee that it did.

I should a make him a container of sand off to the side

If you don't do this Stacy I don't think she will do well, They have never done well in my QT tanks (bare Bottom) till I put a 8" or deeper sand container in the tank, Plus its a great way to move the Fish If you ever need to, She will push allot out if the top is close to the fill line, make it wide as posible for good circulation as well... Good luck
Jeff

Today I started the process of going BB in my 75 gallon. I decided the process should happen over time, but after removing half of a five gallon bucket of sand, I'm thinking this will drive me nuts! Can I remove my 2-3 inch sand bed all at once or will I totally wack out my chemistry? I will still have a good amount of sand remaining in my refugium/sump.

Second question...will my leopard wrasse move into the rocks to sleep or should a make him a container of sand off to the side?

Thank you!

k, so you lost half of the population of bacteria that was on your sand then. Stacy wants to take out all of it at once. All of the bacteria on the sand will be gone. Whenever you lose bacteria like that, whether it's all of you tank or half, you will get an ammonia spike followed by a nitrite spike and finally your nitrates. Like I said, just because you didn't measure one, doesn't mean it didn't happen cause I can guarantee that it did.
You know what i'm not here to argue ok! You weren't there checking my parameters, so why dont we leave it at that! :)
( Sry stacys hope you get the right answers! )

You know what i'm not here to argue ok! You weren't there checking my parameters, so why dont we leave it at that! :)
( Sry stacys hope you get the right answers! )

Relax, you can either take it as you did, or you could take the advice and learn from it. Like I said, whether you realize it or want to admit it, just because you didn't get a reading at the time that you tested, doesn't mean it didn't take place. See, it's a fact that if you kill off or take away a large section of your bacteria, it takes a while for that bacteria to repopulate. In the meantime, the ammonia that comes from decaying food and your fish is in the tank. Until the bacteria reproduce and turn that into nitrites, it will remain in the tank. It doesn't take that long and chances are it's really not enough to make a difference depending on your bioload.

Stacy, just gradually take the sand out. It may be a pain in the butt, but it is the best way to do it.

Last edited:
I had to put sand in for my leopard wrasses in my 180 I just put it in the corners and the wrasses moved it where they wanted it. I think i put 40 nds in so I still have bare spots. and all 5 of my wrasses just love to throw it everywhere.

Wow...that opened a big ole discussion. I decided to go bare bottom because it's a personal preference. I am testing and watching to see if there is a cycle. I do have a deep sand bed in my sum, as well as live rock.

Brandy I have the same leopard wrasse as you do. I have had him three years and he has thrived in a three inch sand bed. I have given him a sand "bed" in his sleeping area and he has jumped into it for the last two nights. He is ornery as ever and eating well.

Wow...that opened a big ole discussion. I decided to go bare bottom because it's a personal preference. I am testing and watching to see if there is a cycle. I do have a deep sand bed in my sum, as well as live rock.

Brandy I have the same leopard wrasse as you do. I have had him three years and he has thrived in a three inch sand bed. I have given him a sand "bed" in his sleeping area and he has jumped into it for the last two nights. He is ornery as ever and eating well.

Hey Stacys, how come you decide to go bare bottom? I did it becuz i wanted to have my vortech on full blast in my 54!
Oh boy do my fish love it and corals are thriving more :)

So where's the pics!!!???

Keep testing and monitoring, but I think you'll be just fine. Yes, you're going to temporarily lose some denitrification ability, but the beneficial population will quickly build back up to the levels needed. I'd be very surprised if you experience anything more than a slight spike, if even that. The other thing that you may experience is a diatom outbreak. Diatoms are pretty typical when any major changes are made. Shouldn't last long though. Can you give some details as to how you chose to create an area of sand for the Leopard Wrasse?

Oh, and WHERE'S THE PICS???!!!

So where's the pics!!!???

Keep testing and monitoring, but I think you'll be just fine. Yes, you're going to temporarily lose some denitrification ability, but the beneficial population will quickly build back up to the levels needed. I'd be very surprised if you experience anything more than a slight spike, if even that. The other thing that you may experience is a diatom outbreak. Diatoms are pretty typical when any major changes are made. Shouldn't last long though. Can you give some details as to how you chose to create an area of sand for the Leopard Wrasse?

Oh, and WHERE'S THE PICS???!!!

Michael, thanks for the information! The Leopard has a 3x10 "bed", filled with sand the depth of what my sand bed was...located where he always beds down. I watched him dive in last night and crawl out this morning...pretty funny!

Hey Stacys, how come you decide to go bare bottom? I did it becuz i wanted to have my vortech on full blast in my 54!
Oh boy do my fish love it and corals are thriving more :)

My corals are very happy today and I expecting water changes to go very fast. I also like the look.

Back