goniopora id

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bobt2

after the fact i learned i should not have bought a goni, but 10 months later it continues to grow and i still can't properly id it. the base has 4 seperate lobes and the polyps are brown. i have it on the sand at the bottom of my 75 with 6x54 t-5s i hope the pic comes thru

another shot early in the morning with the polyps retracted. you can see the 4 seperate lobes

My LFS had something similar to that only green and lime green. I don't know what the name of it was but it looked pretty cool.

its a goniopora sp. dont belive everything u here ive got a 2 1/2 year old goni and a red goni which are rare my lfs owner has a red goni he has had for 5 years they are a high light requiring coral, gonioporas can grow hemispherical, encrusting or branching i dont keep my on the subtrate
they are poritidae and we keep other speicies of these so why should they be so hard

i,m new to this, what excactly does sp. mean? heres 1 more p[hoto with the polyps fully extended

there is no way this or most any coral can be IDed from a pic. Let alone an image without a macro shot of polyps and exposed corallum. Its irresponsible to tell someone an ID otherwise.

That said, I don't agree that it even looks likely like a lobata species.

The right advice here (and always, please, my friends) when folks ask for IDs is to guide them to the good references they should haveto help them ID their corals better with the books/plates open and the coral literally on hand.

Bob... find yourself a copy of Veron's Corals of the World or the older/cheaper works (papers even) from Elizabeth Woods. The former is a must have aquarium reference. The latter and the like can be had (some for free) on a google scholar search (http://scholar.google.com)

For soft coral IDs, look to Fabricuus and Alderslades "Soft Corals and Sea Fans"

These books and more plus where to buy them are listed in the sticky atop this forum called "fav links..."

And lastly, Bob... I say this truly with all due respect... but if you are asking questions like "what does "sp." mean?" then you are clearly so new to coral keeping that you dearly ned to learn more before you take animals into your care that you do not know their names, what they eat... or even iif they are suitable specimens for life in captivity. Buy the books please my friend. Read/learn more before you spend another dollar on a coral... a poorly suited one for aquaria no less.

anthony, thanks for the advice, yes i,m new {18 months} after swfo since the 60's. i have lots of books but unfortunatly i can't find id's on all the corals. my lfs is my source of live stock and altho he keeps his stock well he has no idea of sp. bob

Back