good eel for a cforner 60 gal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

darklcd

nursing eel
hey all

well my water is ready my lighting is all set up and its time to add some stuff. I am still looking at a predatory tank idea so I need some advice on an eel. I was hoping to get something that is going to grow to be a good size (3 feet or so) and will be a good starter eel for me.

I have had a tank for a while but never had an ell just wondering if there is anyone that can give me some advice on this one. If I can I would liekt avoid the ribbon and snowflake eels I am not a fan of the way they look

Anyone got any ideas please let me know

hoping to get something that is going to grow to be a good size (3 feet or so)

That includes most of the eels out there, but I wouldn't recomend any of them in a 60gal. It is kind of hard to do a predatory tank with something that small because most predators get to a decent size besides the dwarf lions. As far as eels go though, I would deffenently suggest a yellow dwarf moray. WPH often carries these for a very decent price.

I hope this helps,

-augustus

Actually "most" eels far exceed 3 feet, however there are numerous available in the hobby that are apropriately smaller for captive environments. The Zebra Moray meets your goals. It maxes out at around 36", is very hardy and amicable toward fish. I recommend staying away from the fish eating eels as they will severely limit what you can keep regardless of how agressive you think the fish are :) Dont sell the snowflake too short. Once they reach two feet, they are a sight to behold swimming in the water colum.

I have had success with the Zebra, Snowflake, Gold tail (yellow), and yellow head (fish eater).

I feed Silverslides for the snowflake and yellow-head: Krill and Jumbo shrimp for the Zebra and yellow tail.

One more thing. If the head of the eel is angular, the chances are its a fish eater. Look at pics of the zebra and snowflakes heads, then look at a Tesselata's. Fish base works well as a research tool.

Last edited:
Back