Good fish sites???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kriswaters

Hi all. I have spent way to much time on the net lately, and was wondering if anyone could help out.

I am planning my future inhabitants for my 55 gallon reef. If anyone has any good links to some fish info sites I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Kris:)

Personally, I really like to see the fish that I am buying, that way I can watch it eat, see it's behavior etc. There are a ton of sites, check some of our sponsors, but don't you have a few fairly good stores that are local to you? Upscales is one that comes to mind, I think they are in your area. Just a thought............... HTH

It's unclear what you're asking. Charlie thinks you're asking about buying fish online. Is that the question, or are you only looking for fish information online?

I have a general idea of what I want. I don't want a "to buy" site, but a few sites to look and obtain pictures and information on reef fish.

Kris

I like the marine center site because it has good size pictures for the index (instead of just have names in the index and having to click to see a picture) and then you can click on the picture for more info. The only thing I do not like is they do not give info on the adult size of the fish. There prices seem high but I use it alot to make decisions about which fish I want to find localy (an Asfur Angel is one I am keeping my eye out for).

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/angelfish/

kriswaters,

The downside to sites that sell fish, to obtain information is the often mis-information provided at such sites. If you have some time, take a 'common fish' and look it up on four or five sites that sell the fish. Read the info and recommendations. Just look at one thing, like the recommended minimum tank size. You'll find 'recommendations' all over the place.

Since you already have in mind the fishes you're interested in, just Google them. I know it's not the time you wanted to put into it, but information from sales sites is sometimes the worst source for information and this way you're most likely to get a cross section of corroborating information. :D

Another problem with sites that offer info on fish and also sell fish, besides the recommended tank size, is in the "reef safe" category! Be aware that a lot of fish are listed as "reef safe" that aren't always the safest fish to put in a reef tank. Especially when it comes to Dwarf Angels. I agree with doing google searches. I use this forum, Google and www.wetwebmedia.com

Back