Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TWallace

crab1.jpg

crab2.jpg

crab3.jpg

crab4.jpg

crab5.jpg

Here he is still inside the coral. He's about dime sized.
crab_in_acro.jpg

Here's the acro I found him in.
acro.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is a gorilla crab but I'd like confirmation. I have read that gorilla crabs will eat the flesh of various corals, particularly SPS. I have had 2 small monti frags die in the last few weeks for unknown reasons, and I'd like to know if this little fella could have caused it. At first I thought I was lucky and had an acro crab, but the black tipped claws, hairy legs and blue eyes say otherwise.

Hi cannot think of the name of the crab but i had one and all it did was eat my large toad stool coral i would say you need to get rid may be some one else can conferm this.

That carb is obviously very different than the masked acro crabs. My vote is removing him, and either banishing to the sump, or finding someone with a mantis that could use it for food. Some folks find this same type of crab in their acros, and leave them. Based on the claws in the picture, I'd get rid of it.

Thanks all. He's currently in a fish net which is hanging in my refugium. I may just release him into the refugium when I get home. He is pretty neat looking and I'd rather not kill him. I'm rather surprised he's there in the first place. I have a melanurus wrasse and a juvenile red coris wrasse which I thought would have killed little guys like this. I haven't added live rock in 2 and a half years, so this little fella must been with me a long time.

Back