Good skimmer for sps 125 gal tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

as1720

Female Hermit crab
So we would like to get a good skimmer good enough for sps's ad believe me i have been looking but um there are so meny!

Not that we will be doing sps's right away, but as soon as the tank is ready we will be.

We would like to spend i would say $300.

125 gallon tank with figure a 30-40 gal sump/fuge.

Any suggestions? (if possible)

Just wondering what your guy's second pick would be? Little over or a little under is ok, just want to see another option. I dont but the boyfriend does. :D

Thanks for the fast reply too!

I've read good things about the bubble magnus and vertex brand. I believe they are in the price range. Really though For the money you can't beat the MSX/SWC extreme skimmer line. For that budget I would go for them and don't look back.

I've read good things about the bubble magnus and vertex brand. I believe they are in the price range. Really though For the money you can't beat the MSX/SWC extreme skimmer line. For that budget I would go for them and don't look back.

totally agree once you have had a crappy skimmer and replace with one of these the difference is unbelievable. look at saltwater connections in the sponsor section

Well since we are on a roll here name the two best pumps for a closed loop.

(i have not looked into them yet just know i need one) :oops:

if i had to do it all over again i would save my money and get some very nice powerheads and not worry about closed loops

Yeah skip the closed loop and get some vortech mp40 but since you asked I know alot of people use Sequence Reeflo or Dolphin brand pumps for their closed loop app.

I just dont want to see all the wires from power heads. What are some down falls to closed loops?

OMG thats thing is $400!

So the wires go on the outside of the tank? Is that why they call it wireless?

Last edited:
Yup cost is up there. They are not totally "wireless" just the wet side. You will still have wire on the outside of your tank. They call it wireless because if you have multiple units you can sinc them to communicate with each other wirelessly.

Last edited:
I just dont want to see all the wires from power heads. What are some down falls to closed loops?

i feel ya on the wires,you tend to lose alot of flow on the closed loop plus the pumps use a ton of electricity and the nozzles get in the way of growing corals. what ever the amount of flow you want in the tank you might as well double it at the pump. for example i have 2 amp master 3000's on 2 seperate closed loops. i thought this would be plenty, but so much flow is lost in the elbows and such i should have gone with 2 6000 gallon pumps. as a result i have 2 powerheads in the tank as well that pump3250 a piece, the nice thing about those is i can move them where ever i want as the corals grow and the needs of the tank change:)

Back