Goodbye n' hello

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

josh88

So since my new additions my tank took a turn for the worst. And I mean deaths. I notice some things doing bad like immediately....RBTA looked like death on the sand foot in air. Clown died like 5 hours later.... Shrimp died the next morning. Xenia, gsp, explosion polyps, Duncan, monti cap, green torch, and clove polyps were still holding in. So rather than lose them to I put them in my 5 gallon q tank. They started doing a little better, but not really enough space in there for them. I decided to give them to my buddy. So I did a 20% water change everyday, tested my water everyday, everything was near perfect. Ph was 8.0 when its usually 8.2..... That's it. So I've been racking my brain since Thursday trying to figure out what the hell happened...... No freaking idea. Today I'm taking out the trash and I see my orthax flea and bug indoor/outdoor treatment. And like 6 cans of flea bombs. I'm like :confused: cause I didn't use any off that. I ask my wife why she threw them away. She replies " duh I used them and sprayed the trim in the house to get rid of the ants, And fleas in the house from the cats, I got bit 6 times last night, and zackaryah (son) 2 times".
I ask here so did you Do this threw the entire house?
" yes duh"
Umm..... Bet you didn't cover the tank, And turn my air pump powed skimmer off did ya?
She said no why?
Omg........ Omg.......Omg................. I have found the reason for mass death in my tank.....she did this in a matter of a week and I had no idea.
Why...why....why....why...why...why :mad:
So I've decided to start over, clear my tank, cycle it over again. Get a hob skimmer, and new lighting at some point during the cycle. And I'm doing bb, and have decided to avoid have to syphon my sand I'm going to look for some good durable water resistant egg crate no idea how to find it. But once plans are in the making I'll be asking. Still feel really bummed about this whole situation. I'm mad, but know she didn't know. And probably doesn't understand why I'm mad. And upset. Cause she doesn't share my passion
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OMG I am so sorry to hear this :( I won't even let people use fabrize in the main room.

Many LFS sell egg crate if you can't find it I know Bulkreefsupply sells it cheap. Garrets at TPA in Salem always has a stack but I don't know if you make it that far south. I have heard the black is better and grows less algea but I don't know if its true or not.

When you are ready I will give you some frags of zoa's to get you started again and if you want some I have many mushrooms that I can trim back. I make it to Vancouver from time to time or we can meet up at a PNWMAS meeting.

If there is anything I can do don't be afraid to ask, I'll do what I can. We are only an hour drive from each other :)

Maybe krish will pop in with what i remember him saying. He does all his tanks bb if i remember right. He suggested using pvc sheet. Ive never heard about it before he mentioned it. I dont even know if you can get it in the usa...lol. I did bb in my tank (215g), i took out all my sugar sized sand. It blew around the tank too much. I didnt know about the sheeting before hand. Well, after having it bb for a couple months, i was wishing i had the sand back in there. Sure it looked cleaner, less maintenance, my kole tang LOVED the extra stuff on the bottom to eat, but it just didnt look finished and i know it took alot of the benificial bacteria out with it. I would suggest you get a brissle tang...ie kole, to help keep the bottom clean along with your daily siphoning. Imo of course. Up to you as always.

^^ Yes, you can get it in the US. Jason at Clear Fabrications sells it. When I get on a pc, I'll post the link to the thread. You have a great memory! :p

Also, sorry to hear Josh :doubt:. That really sucks. If you go bare bottom, I wouldn't use egg crate. All of those little holes in it will be dirt traps. Better to have something smooth that the waste and detritus can be easily lifted I to the water column. Give me a few mins to get on the computer and find that link. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oh lol I was thinking of putting the egg crate like 2 inches off the bottom, to allow flow to get under the tank as well. So all I'd need to.do is point a power head down to.kick up whatever is down there and water change. I've noticed that my want for a specific look in my aqua scape leaves areas for detrius to build up, Idk. If you've seen my set up you'll see I like openings with bridges

Oh lol I was thinking of putting the egg crate like 2 inches off the bottom, to allow flow to get under the tank as well. So all I'd need to.do is point a power head down to.kick up whatever is down there and water change. I've noticed that my want for a specific look in my aqua scape leaves areas for detrius to build up, Idk. If you've seen my set up you'll see I like openings with bridges

Detritus can't build up if there is enough well placed flow. If it does in a bare bottom tank, then it will usually all settle it specific piles which you can see and easily get in there and siphon up. My 75 gal had just 2 spots detritus would settle so on a water change, I just sucked up those two piles which is much better IMO than going treasure hunting in a sand bed. However, in my 38 gal cube with the 9 output nozzles and the 105x turnover rate, nothing settled anywhere so a water change was just that...Sucking out old water and replenishing with new. Only the sump got a vacuuming when needed. :)

jezeramy.jpg

Where the RBTA is. There is a little cave in there. But I have placed a rock in between two other rocks, to fill space, and I notice a lot of detrius accumulating in that spot which is very hard to get a syphon in there. But I think my problem solution with that is to get rid of my smaller pieces of rock, or putty them together to make a bigger piece of rock? Idk. I feel almost lost now that everything took a turn for the worst.

Krish how'd you measure that curve in your bowfront?

If I told you, I'd have to kill you... :D

If I remember correctly, I used a piece of cardboard and traced the tank bottom out and then just trimmed the shape down from there. Once I got the right fit, I traced out the carboard template on the pvc board and cut it out. :)

Jeez wow....... That's So simple. Here I was trying to make it complicated lol. Ok So another ? Is it safe to say that since the water was polluted, that the rock is or can I just rinse off the rock, And brush it down. And good to go?

If it was me and i eben questioned if my rock was contaminated, and i was starting over fresh, i would clean the rock really good and cycle it in another container. It couldnt hurt right.

That's true. Good idea :) Krish- remember when I started you told me more flow is always better. I had two 250gph powerhead in the tank on top off one 295 gph return, and another stock 265 gph return. That's almost 40 times the flow rate lol. I took you up on your advice. I really think It's all the small pieces of live rock I have up against the bigger pieces. To many little cracks for stuff to gather

HTC EVO

Yea, flow is very important and with a bare bottom tank, you can use more flow than you can traditionally use in a tank with sand as well as you can point it in places you couldn't before. I wouldn't say that more flow is better in the sense that the more turnover rate you have the better, but sometimes it takes more flow to acquire more area of coverage in your tank. Someone may be able to achieve full coverage in their say 50 gal with only 40x turnover rate vs someone with 60x turnover rate in the same sized tank all do to placement. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok just an update on the coral that survived the bombing.
maryvuzy.jpg

u8ejuvun.jpg

by4e3eru.jpg
mubytevy.jpg
gu7e5ave.jpg

Ok so the pulsing xenias didn't look good for Like a week. I really thought the were goners, but since I modded my jbj hood for his tank. And resituated some power heads. Took care of an algae problem. It looks way better
HTC EVO

Back