green algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

darklight2ooo

I have a bit of a green algae problem, i had posted about it earlier but after a couple of weeks of water changes i haven't seen much improvement. i'm wondering if i should go the route of finding some creature that would eat the stuff instead. What kinds of algae do turbo snales eat? would they eat green string algae?

I'm fighting the same, in my new tank. The only reliable answers I've found so far are:

1. Nothing will eat it effectively.
2. You need to starve it out (consider a GFO phosphate remover)
3. Wait. A long time. It might take a few months. But it will be done right.

I'm about to start up a PhosBan reactor. Algae needs two things to thrive, light and food. I'm not going to cut the light, so I'll cut the food (phosphates and nitrates). Keep water super clean, keep up the water changes, they're your best defense and the only decent way to remove nitrates.

i had it everywhere on rocks back of tank changed closed loop to eightway oceans motions month later i had no sign of it. May be due to not enough water flow

water flow is something i have been considering. or buying a benny... id love to just turn off my lights and kill it but i think my corals might not like that very much nor my fish...

I did notice that the sun does shine into the tank and i started freaking so i moved it out of the way of the sun. aside from that... water changes and more movement might be the best bet. sigh... it takes so much time.

I agree more flow and water changes. When mine was overgrown with it my blenny didnt touch it i tryed to pick it off but that seemed to make it worse.

Back