Green brittle star in new refugium?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

xxkenny90xx

Hey guys, so I bought some coral about a month ago and noticed a tiny brittle star in with it. I didn't think much of it since I really like brittles (my brown one is well over a foot long from end to end). Well recently the new star has shown his face again and he is about 3 inches total and his body is almost the size of a dime. And he's GREEN. Fearing for my fish I decided he could live in the refuge. The problem is that while my tank is 2 1/2 years old, I just added the sump a couple days ago. The refugium has some live rock in it and that is all. No light, no sand, no micro algae, yet. Is this a suitable home for him? Should I add a regular fluorescent light to encourage some algae for him to eat? Also, when would he be a problem in the dt? I don't think he's big enough to eat any of my fish yet, but I have seen him stand up on his legs waiting to catch something.. Any input would be appreciated, thanks

A regular fluorescent light on the fuge would be fine. I would feed him silversides periodically too. You could also, more than likely take it back to an LFS.

I will take it to the lfs if I don't get positive responses on this thread. Are the silversides due to a lack of food in my new sump? I ask because my brown brittle only eats the brine shrimp it catches when I feed the fish. I don't feed him directly because I want him to be hungry enough to clean my tank.

Back