green button polyps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

derrick206

i recently purchased them from the lfs and when i arrived home they were obviously closed and appeared to have white spots on most of the colony . they seem to be fine and open full and regularly. what is it? should i destroy the colony

Don't destroy them ! Do a fresh water dip (make sure the fresh water is the same temp as your tank), keeping them in the FW for a minute or two. Put them back in your tank, and hopefully they will be fine. A little bit of iodine could be added to the FW if you wanted to.

Alot of zoanthids have small white strips near the top of the closed up polyp that may appear to be spots. If you could get pictures, it would help.

lol...if you actually read the post that you linked to, you would see that Mucho dips the polyps in fresh water with iodine....just what I suggested above. It won't kill them. lol
I've had a few zoas in the past, and none have ever not made it through a FW dip.

You need to match the ph of the saltwater to that of the freshwater. That is very important.
I have a couple zoanthids myself.

Back