Green Clown Goby

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

syndar

This one is really picky when it comes to eating. I tried all frozen foods (shrimp brime, mysis shrimp, daphina, mega marine, brime shrimp with spiralina) and flakes. He seems to just hide and ignore the food. We got him on Monday and have not seen him eat yet. (they get fed morning and night) I believe he will starve to death yet. I need some ideas on what to feed him and entice him to have something. And to move from one spot and yes he is alive. He seems not to be adjusting or ???????
Thanks

ahhh :( .
When i bought my bicolor pseudochromis, the store where i got it gave me a green clown goby, the fish unfortunately starved to death because i didn't knwo what to feed him :( .
I don't know how mature is your tank but if i was you, i'd try may be with some copepods .

Here is an article about gobys dood and good luck with your fish i hope he makes it.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-10/hcs3/index.php

hey i have a green clown goby hes so cool he loves to sit in sps lps and soft corals mine will eat flake brine mysis and green stuff i didnt think they had special feedings and mine get picked on by big mamma clown and a blue yellow chromis this is the fish were talking about right? i had a starring contest wil this little feller and he almost beat me it was like 5 minutes long? lol good luck with urs hope it didnt cost u much mine was $16.50AU
sorry i dont have a good pick of the fella he has the best colour pattern of any other speciemen i have seen

We don't have a reef system started yet, only fish(no live sand or rock). The pet store told us he would eat the same as the other gobies we have. Where Can I pick up some copepods? Are the available at Walmart cause our pet store is 2 hours away. Any other suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

What other fish are in this tank?

Your main issues will be food competition and food particle size. Food size is easy to deal with, tanks mates can be a bit of a challenge.

Cheers
Steve

There are
Chomis x 3
Strawberry dottyback
Barber Pole Goby
Yellow Coris Goby
Watchman goby
Clowns X 4
Cleaner Wrasse
Scooter Blenny
Scissortail Goby
Hermit Crabs (red & Blue)
Snails
O.k. we like Gobies but they has been no fighting in the tank, and all the others have been eating well. Not sure about the scooter his mouth is always moving. The tank is 55 gals and was been running since Oct 05. The levels are all in range, the skimmer is running well, water change 20-25% is done every 4 weeks along with the carbons. Also can you tell me what algae wafers are used for? Any information will be use full.
Thanks

Last edited:
Some very creative names you have there... No such thing as a yellow coris goby, you mean wrasse yes? How large is it vs the pseudochromis?

To be honest with you, I'm seriously suprised you have no problems. I really hope it remains peaceful .... :eek:

With the types of fish you have, the lack of rock (claimable territory) may be why there's no real issues (yet?), hard to tell. As far as feeding, food competition is going to be an issue. I would try to construct some sort of feeding station that would only benefit the smaller slower moving fish. Something along the lines of this idea...
http://www.melevsreef.com/mandarin_diner.html
Also gear the food particle sizes towards the fish sizes targeted. With the clown goby foods like pellet, mysis or brine will be too large. You'll need to focus on something much smaller like frozen Cylop-eeze or similar.

As for the wafers, not much in your tanks going to after them really. "cept mabye the hermits and snails and they don't need it. Most of your fish are either carnivors or omnivors, none are algae grazers. Your really better off ensuring the foods fed are gut loaded, gel bound using mush/mixed foods that will include a variety of meat/veg and all are fortified with a good liquid vitamin/HUFA additive.

Cheers
Steve

Okay the little goby has started to move around and hids in the plants. He will go for a piece of food (daphina, brime shrimp) then go back and hide in the plant. I quess this is how he eats because he does this several times while it is feeding time. So now the green clown goby is eating :D But if he stops of anything then I'll try the feeding from the bottle. (I'll pick one up today just in case) As for the dottyback, he has not chased away the goby and he is only a 1 and half long and only the clowns will kind of folllow him. The yellow goby may just be a yellow goby (told differnt at the pet store), always on display, sitting on the heater, plant leaves or the ornaments for no more than 2 minutes at a time. But now the watchman goby feels his home was invaded by the barber pole goby(Highfin goby). They were fighting during feeding time this morning. So when I get home from work I think I will personally move Highfin to the other side of the tank where he can have his own home. There is lots of hidding spots in our tank and many different home to choose from, so there really should be no fighting. Just like childern :mad: Hopefully this will solve some more on going problems of keeping a tank. Just when you think you have it figured it..... booooh something else pops up. Any suggestions or ideas will be useful, thanks for all your help.

Keep careful watch on the various species of of goboids. I do not think you'll have lasting peace. As for the newest addition, it is actually quite common for this goby to remain secluded a good portion of the time. Once it gets a little larger and used to the activity in the tank it should become more active out in the open.

Pay special heed to the strawberry pseudochromis. This species can make damsels look like a cake walk. The main tankmates it may harass will be the wrasses, scissor tail and mabye (I doubt it though), the chromis.

Cheers
Steve

Pay special heed to the strawberry pseudochromis. This species can make damsels look like a cake walk. The main tankmates it may harass will be the wrasses, scissor tail and mabye (I doubt it though), the chromis.

I agree with Steve, those fishes are really mean.
I had a bicolor one and he almost killed my first six line wrasse, he would pick on my clown fish and he'd beat up the damsel like there was not tomorrow... so definetly watch him, i'd even get rid of him :p .

Back