Green Dust Algae???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mad921

About a month and a half ago I upgraded to larger tank. Since that time I've gone through the typical new tank issues (diatoms, etc), but recently I've had a development that I haven't seen before. I'm getting a very fine green algae that accumulates on the glass. It grows exclusively on the glass, seems to be almost powder like, and can be removed from the glass very easily (current directed towards it will blow it off even). Really, I would think it was the result of diatoms, but it is distinctly green.

In my experience with freshwater planted tanks, I've experienced a similar type of algae called "green dust algae" but I haven't been able to find any references to it in SW aquaria. I'm wondering if they could be one in the same though. Green dust in FW is believed to be algae in zoospore stage and is very free swimming. It's believed that removing it from the glass perpetuates the problem and an accepted solution is to allow the algae to live out its life cycle undisturbed after which time it will mature and die off.

Thus far I've just been wiping it off every other day or so. If left for any greater period of time is would fog up the glass fairly completely. I've also been performing 20% water changes twice a week. Phosphates are zero and nitrates build only to trace amounts. Just not really sure what else to do or what I'm actually dealing with though. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I think what you are seeing in your system is normal. I know that I need to clean my front glass about 3 times a week... or the build up starts "fogging" the viewing. It is just an algae (snails love it, and cover my glass at night... so I know its time to clean again), and nothing to worry about.

A while back, I also started getting green circles on my back glass. This ended up turning into coraline algae, nice and purple. That was a much harder algae than the film that accluminates on the front glass.

Hopefully, you'll get some more posts here from others... and can localize down what you're seeing... but I don't think its anything at all for you to be worried about. Just another "maintenance" thang we get to do with our tanks is all. :)

I had this same stuff right after the diatom bloom. It lasted just as long and then went away by itself. :)

Back in the old days of undergravel filters (70s/80s), reverse flow UG filters, etc. looong before wet/dry trickle filters, it was considered a sign of a healthy tank to have this type green algae. The health yest ones all did and was recommended to not clean it off the sides. Besides being a nitrate scrubber, was fish food. The green will pass as the Coraline starts up.

Back