Green Film

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Pickles

meow
So on my glass, I am continuing to get this green film stuff. If easily comes off with a magnet cleaner but comes back several times through out the day. I have tried to vacuum it and did not have a ton of luck. I also increased my flow and no luck. My tank is exactly one month old and just recently finished the ugly brown algae stage. Does anyone have any further advise for this green film on my glass?

If you touch it with your finger, is it a slimy film or is it something that's harder that you would need your fingernail to scrape off?

Also, did you start your tank with tap water or RO/DI water?

If you touch it with your finger, is it a slimy film or is it something that's harder that you would need your fingernail to scrape off?

Also, did you start your tank with tap water or RO/DI water?

It is a slimy film, nothing that I have to scrap at. I used tap water. Had and have no idea what RO/DI water is. I know, I know, I am sure I sound dumb but I guess that is why I posted this in the NEW TO REEFKEEPING section!

RODI water is water that's filtered through a Reverse Osmosis, DeIonizing filtration unit. It removes impurities from your tap water. I'm guessing that what you're seeing is an algae outbreak. If possible, test your tank for nitrates and phosphates. Look into investing in an RO/DI unit. Do you have a refugium with Macro Algae growing in it?

Judging from your previous posts on other threads, I'm going to suggest picking up a reefkeeping book. You can find a variety at the local library and I'm sure no one will mind if you do some readiing at Boarders Books.

The forums are great if you have specific questions or are looking to build on your knowledge, but you have to have an idea of the basics or you won't understand the advice people are giving in the threads you have started.

in order to not grow algae, think of how it stays alive...

it needs food and light just like all plants, so cut back on one or the other or both until it gets under control. it may take a while to dial in and figure this out...especially if you have a smaller tank.

I would definately buy an RO/DI system. Do a google search for RO/DI system, maybe you can even find one used on the used equipment forum or buy one new from the LFS (local fish store). I bought a Barracuda Aqua FX RO/DI system from Aquatic Dreams in the valley. It can be seen at the manufacturers site here http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com...category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

Using tap water, you will have a lot of algae problems. I couldn't keep SPS corals alive with tap water. Soft corals are more forgiving, but will still benefit greatly from RO/DI water. Same with your fish.

Bojangles thats great advise. The reefkeeping books at LFS will be a great help. Water Chemistry basics is what I suggest focusing on.

You said the tanks a month old with tap water... That explains it. Cycling process also tap water put in stuff you really do not want at all. Nitrates and Phosphates...we change water to reduce nitrate,nitrites, and phosphates.

Algae loves Phophates ...its fertilizer for it. To solve your current problem I would suggest using Phosban or Rophos... a phosphate removing thing. Eliminate that issue now before it comes back around to bite you.

The suggestions for RO/DI units is another good thing to look into. I found 3 stage one at lowes for 120+ bucks few months ago.

Also check with your local fish stores. Ask if they sell water. Average price is 50c a gallon for top off water and a $1 a gallon for salt premix.

Tap water comes with many risks... I would just avoid it all together.

PS> besides Phosphate remover... A cleaning crew... pick up a lot of snails like Asetheris (spelling off) Snail, Turbo Snails, Blue Leg hermits, Nesarius Snail (sand bed cleaner stirring snail).

I really emphasize picking up an ample amount of clean up crew ...

Last edited:
Hi Pickles, I'm a new guy too, I have had salt water fish for years, but trying to clear things up to make a reef has been a huge learning curve. I have been really fighting algae too. I bought an ro/di from "the filter guys", and it has made a really big difference. Its still slow going, I brush or sweep the algae (to get it suspended) then I do a water change. I am doing 10% twice a week. Kinda a pain, but each time I see the rate of algae growth slowing down. I think the ro/di water is starving the algae of food.

If you have any foam filters going, clean them a couple times a week. I think a lot of tank crud gets caught up in it.

Good luck.

Hi Pickles, I'm a new guy too, I have had salt water fish for years, but trying to clear things up to make a reef has been a huge learning curve. I have been really fighting algae too. I bought an ro/di from "the filter guys", and it has made a really big difference. Its still slow going, I brush or sweep the algae (to get it suspended) then I do a water change. I am doing 10% twice a week. Kinda a pain, but each time I see the rate of algae growth slowing down. I think the ro/di water is starving the algae of food.

If you have any foam filters going, clean them a couple times a week. I think a lot of tank crud gets caught up in it.

Good luck.

Sounds like I will be putting a ro/di thingy on my christmas list.

Back