green star polyps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
anyone have any advice on flow and lighting....mine won't open....i've had them for a week...300watt lights and medium flow on them currently

I've never had green star polys ronj, so I don't really know what advice to give you, but I just wanted to stop in and welcome you to Reef Frontiers! I'm sure you will be sorted out very soon...Enjoy your time here and best of luck!

if your tank is much bigger than a 55 gall, then you may well have too much light for these polyps.

They do like/need strong turbulent flow...

and you do need to be more patient than one week for polyp expansion with many corals. Especially if you are putting your hands in the tank more than once per week (very irritating to some corals).

i have a 72 bow 260 pc and 40wt flourescent...the flow is indirect ,but moving them some

Ron,
The green star polyps can take 2-3 weeks to open when you first get them, I am not sure why, I just know from my own experience, also when you do anything to disturb them or change lights ect. they can close for days or a week or so at a time...

Matt

Yep sometimes they just take a while to open. If everything else is good they are probably fine. Sometimes they will close up for a while on there own also...

half of my stars opened up today as well as my grn strp mushs...!!!! i just wasn't patient enough...i gave them a few more days instead of moving them again and did a small water change.

Very good, you were right not to move them again, they don't like that....

Yup I agree with Ken,
some times we are actually right about our opinions..

Best luck to you and your reef..

Matt

I have them with medium flow and they are opening every day. At the first five days it wasnt opening. Be patient, good luck!

Back