Grocery store shrimp as food?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

milton859

Hey everyone, so I have a watchman goby and a banded starfish that I have been having a hard time feeding. I normally feed my tank mysis shrimp, a veggie mix, or krill from a blister pack but all my other fish get to the food before my goby and starfish have a chance. But I don’t want to overfeed by putting a lot of food in that won’t get eaten up.
I was wandering if I went to the grocery store and got raw shrimp then cut it into little chunks and then spot fed it to my goby and star fish, would that work as long as it was raw and had nothing else in it. Or is there a better option to get food to the two of them?

I use a mix of raw shrimp and scallops from the grocery store along with mysis and krill and seaweed and formula one and formula two and vitamins and garlic extreme or guard.
You can use a turkey baster to get food in their direction. My gobies actually do good getting food with all the tangs I have.

Feed raw shrimp to my eel, he loves it. I do break it up a bit for him though and offer oysters and scallops as well

i go to the seafood dept of a store and ask for 5 of everything within reason of course and stay away from fatty oils like salmon and such. rinse it all thoroughly and peel all shells and shuck oysters and so fourth.then i take it home and add fresh garlic juice and a shot of vitamins then misis and silver sides then blend it all up and fill up all of my old mysis trays and freeze then pop out how many cubes i need thaw in r/o and feed. i call it BLENDER MUSH!!!. fish and corals cant get enough of it. i also supplement with flake and coral frenzy. hope this help your fish will love you though if u make fresh food i guarantee it. best of all u know whats in it.!!

you can put it in a blender or food processor, but be very careful not to puree it. The mysis doesnt need to be cut up. I like larger pieces for my fish, so I use a hand chopper. Put the shrimp and scallops and whatever larger pieces you get in the freezer just long enough they they are not frozen, just stiffened up and easy to slice and then use a hand chopper and chop them up. Then mix everything that you want in it together and put in quart freezer bags flat about 3/8" thick and freeze. Cut or break off as much as you need.

Ok cool! Thanks for the detailed explanation. What do you mean by hand chopper? (Can you tell I'm a guy with sketchy cooking skills?)

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I have a question that goes along with this. Where do you all get your vitamins for making your own food?

+1 0n the selcon, and a tip for those of us feeding carnivores. They need as much of the animal as possible so it's good to leave the shell on the shrimp or just leave anything your using to feed them as intact as possible

Thanks everyone, I was able to go get some fresh food from my local market and it worked really well. I was able to get the food right in front of my goby and he ate it right up and my banded starfish was all over the little chunk of shrimp I placed in front of him :bounce:

Back