Growing Coral and Feeding Anemones?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mitch

What do I need to grow my coral and what do I have to feed the anemones I have? I have a Purple Tip Anemone, Bubble Tip Anemone and for corals I have Green Star Polyps, Kenyan Tree, Galaxia, and Pulsating Xenia. Thx.

-mitch

Light mostly. None of your corals have to be directly fed in most cases with the ones you list here. They will be 'fed' by your lighting, phytoplankton, detritus and other particulates floating in the water column. You can feed the 'nems if you like. They will eat any meaty snack you give them. On occasion I will use a turkey baster to feed mysis shrimp to my BTA when I'm feeding my sun coral but that might happen 1-2X a month if that.

Good lighting, good water quality and fish poo. That's all you need. Also, I'd be very careful, having more than 1 anemone, in your tank. In fact, I'd be concerned with you having any anemone, in such a new tank. Your 2X54 watts of T5 lighting is nowhere near enough for any anemone, so consider upgrading your lighting, ASAP.

Having more than one species of anemone, in any tank, unless it's HUGE, is asking for trouble. In your 55, I don't see it going well, at all.

My tank isn't new. I bought it already established and used. I am saving up to get 4x54 watts of T5 lighting too and what is so bad having two anemones in one tank?

My tank isn't new. I bought it already established and used. I am saving up to get 4x54 watts of T5 lighting too and what is so bad having two anemones in one tank?

anems will sting each other, my Seabae ate an rbta clone and a small carpet, some get along with others, some will only tolerate their own specific kind

Not only will anemone, of different species, fight one another, they will move around the tank, in order to fight. While moving, they will sting and possibly kill everything in their path. Also, while moving, their foot isn't well attached, which creates the potential risk of an anemone being sucked into a power head, shredding it, which can crash your entire tank.

stiill have your anemones? need lights? odyssea is nice affordable brand. get a 48in 4 banger for 100 bucks delivered.

One of the anemones was dying a week ago so I had to take it out. :( It was a purple tip anemone that was dying. It was my brothers and he didn't really know how to take care of it. My other bubble tip anemone is doing great! And i got the odyssea lights 3 days ago with LED moonlights for $90.

cool. don't get too attached to the led moonlights as they go out REAL quick...but as far as the ballast and bulbs you can't beat the price.

pretty much, although I had one last about 6 months. blinking and intermitent is a problem too. I have 3 odyssea's ( new) and this is the case with all. still, you can't complain for a 100 bucks! bulbs alone are $30 ea at lfs! But to get into the subject of PAR etc...I have no clue how they rate and have no plans to use them to grow coral. I use them for light and to grow plants and algea in freshwater.

Back