GSP problem?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Peca

I would like to hear if anybody has experience with similar problem. My colony of Green star polyp are covered with something white, like sponge or similar. This white thing cover almost entire rock (this is small rock, about 2 cm / 0,8 inch) with GSP colony. I use blade of small designers scalpel and remove all of this from colony, successfully.
Thanks

Wow Peca! I've never seen anything like that before - thanks for posting pics. You did a good job removing it.

I'll move this to Anthony's forum to see if he has any comments...

Could be wrong but it looks like a type of calcerous sponge (Leucetta sp.). They can commonly be a nuisance to low light/indirect light area's of the tank but I never thought they prospered in full light(?).

Cheers
Steve

In one of the tanks I take care of a colony of GSP has a bright yellow sponge incrusting all over them. The poloyps seem to just push right thru and keep on spreading and growing. Its been like that for years since it was from my original tank.
You sure did a great job on removing yours.

ya i have a problem with my gsp.i wish i had never added them.they are like a cockroach in my tank............................

yep... looks like a poriferan indeed, maybe calcareous, and even possibly parasitic although it is more likely just a nuisance.

Back