Guerry's Skimmer build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Guerry

Ok eveyone here we go, the skimmer I'm building here is my second design. The firist skimmer works well but as with design there's always room for improvement. This skimmer will be mated with a 320 gal tank and running exturnal tied to one of my custom Zeo style sumps. Here's a little info on basic flow design for total system, return pumps will be two BLue Line 40 750gph preasure rated, there's two MP60 for flow within tank and skimmer will be powered by single BlueLine 100 1950gph preasure rated pump also sump has rock area which will use a BLueLine 10 for low flow pod grow out space. Here's pic of tank and sump that new skimmer is going to be tied to
IMG_1523-1.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

So now your wonderring why I'm show pic's of sump, well it's a big part of how this skimmer is going to work. In the second pic you will notice bubble trap/sock area, this is also where 1"1/2 bulkhead will be for suction side of pump with a 2" bulkhead just outside of this area for skimmer outlet or should I say return to sump. What I'm doing here is making recric. skimmer, after head loss from return pumps overflow back to sump should be somewhere around 1400gph and skimmer pump pulling 1900 sounds like dwell time to me! OK OK on to skimmer just thought I needed to give yall some over all basics of total system design ( some say sick in the head)oh well. Arcylic tube for this build i 8" cellcast x1/4 and 4" cellcast x 1/4 which I buy in 5' sticks
IMG_1558.jpg

I start buy cutting all the parts to build skimmer box, don't like to reset saw and keeps all cut same. Once this is done I start with top plate for box cutting all hole before installing main chamber tube
IMG_1593.jpg

you will notice tube goes thrue plate 1" this is design change one, what I found on first design is bubbles build up on top plate then release back into tube causing large bubbles to cause burping in shimmate tube going to cup. In next picture it's hard to see but I angle drill small holes all the way around tube to allow these bubbles to release but much smaller
IMG_1585.jpg

next I'm going to show some mock up pic's which will give idea of size of this beast
IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

more to come! so stay tuned

Good luck with the new build Guerry, give a call if there is anything you need to discuss.

Also, let me know what tubing is left over after your done cutting. I could use a large diameter tube to do a calcium reactor build for the site. I have the plans already and am looking for 5" or 6" -- 2' tubing. One should do. I may make it a dual chamber.

Off to work! Look forward to seeing how this is coming along tonight when I get in. :)

Thanks guys,

Frankie I can get you what every you need just let me know and I'll get it coming

NO I've been buzy with a new LED build and a hole house gen. kind of must living on the east coast

ok here's a magor update, the skimmer I started I've put on hold and building a counter current design skimmer for testing. Here is what I've come up with so far the skimmer supply will come from tank overflow and controlled so that it gets 225gph from tank, this water will flow in 3/4 of way up the tube also there will be an inlet at same hieght for 1/2" airline which will go to airstone manifol at bottom of skimmer box. The manifol will have outlets for three limewood airstones which will be housed in 4" tube shown here
IMG_0469-1.jpg

this is going to be recric. design which outlet to pump will be in lower part of skimmer box and return mid way up skimmer tube, for this I'm going to use an Elem1250 which has 300gph flow @ 0 head. I plan on using gate valve for water returning to sump and to matain level in skimmer. The airpump I've orderred is a Coralife Luft which creates 7.0 psi and is controlable. If all works as planned I should have well over the 2 mimute dwell mark and skimmer should see tank turn over rate of two times a day. Here's a few more pic's of what I've done so far
IMG_0466-1.jpg

IMG_0467-1.jpg

IMG_0468-1.jpg

the main skimmer tube and top are not bonded yet just dry fit still have lots of work to do there

thanks, and hope this design works as well as I think it will

Looks too good not to work! :p. Usually can't go wrong with a re-circulating skimmer. Always wanted to try one, but never did. Looking forward to seeing the end product. :)

well I have to thank Mike for making me think outside the box because I've been a pretty diehard beckett kind of guy LOL sure is nice to be able to have friends like that around and not watch you go down the same old beaten path

well I have to thank Mike for making me think outside the box because I've been a pretty diehard beckett kind of guy LOL sure is nice to be able to have friends like that around and not watch you go down the same old beaten path

Yea, Mojo is a great guy as he always does his best to offer any help he can whenever he can. I've noticed from my time being here, that the majority of the members here genuinely seem to want to see another fellow reefer actually succeed in something which is why I love RF. Great community of reefers here with a lot of knowledge. :)

Back