Gyre XF-130!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NanaReefer

Holy moly I'll never try that again!! Wanted to put the Gyre mode into operation. Entailed switching 1 paddle and 1 cage. Sounds easy right? NOT!!
My paddles are not marked A-B. That would have been to much like right. You cannot put the B cage on the right side, it has to go on the left side. But first you have to figure out which side is left and which is right. Which depends I thought on if it's facing you. NOT!
I thought I had it figured out. But listening to a slight clicking all weekend I figured wrong.
Once again I started over hoping to just get the dang thing back to where it once was. Gyre Mode be damned!
After another hour of trying every combination of paddles & cages I'm finally back to where I freaking started.

It'll have to be enough. I'm clean out of patience-lol.

Update: Contacted Coralvue as I was wanting to purchase new bushings. Well hells bells! They no longer make them! They now offer a new "rugged bushing" which will not fit my paddles. Yup they've redesigned the paddles too.
But they've got great customer service!! They sent me two brand new paddles with bushings installed. FREE!

Now to change them out. I'm traumatized at the moment-lol.

New Paddles have fewer fins from the older ones. I'm installing them now. :)
Top is the old paddle.
fd82ee6bc255e824fe90cb7e29b1eac2.jpg

Update: New paddles totally suck! Don't push no where near half the water as the old paddles. Hopefully I can switch back. That is if the new bushings will fit the old paddles.

Last edited:
Well I've removed the new paddles. Pumps now running as before. Something about this pump I just don't like. Sure it moves water but the strongest flow is at the opposite end with very little flow under the pump itself. Plus there's no way to move it around to get better coverage.
I'm wishing I hadn't of sold my MP10es last year-lol. Guess next years tax return is already spent. Vortech here I come!

Another downfall to this pump. It does not keep detritus suspended in the water column at all. It blows it around until it's eventually caught up in the rock.
I'm blowing my rock off every day now. The amount of detritus is ridiculous! Where is this stuff coming from?!

Sure does! Using it now and the waters rocking. But it still lifts nothing into the water column.
I started this pump a year ago at just 30% max, it was so strong. Today I'm up to 60% max as it has actually lost power. Even at 60% nothing on my SB moves.
They no longer make the bushings for my paddles, nor are they making/carrying the same paddles. Both have been redesigned.
I'm being forced to buy the new Paddles which are just 4 finned unlike the older ones being 8 finned.

I'm hoping you're getting an understanding of what I'm saying. It's hard for me to explain and or describe in writing my experience with this pump.
The flow per say is great. If that's all one is looking for. I was hoping at the same time it would help keep things a bit cleaner by keeping detritus from settling.

The reversing flow probably kicks detritus out of hiding spots, whereas one-directional flow just puts the particles into those spots.

I personally just let it collect, to feed the animals. Especially the sand sifting goby.

Yeah, I think I understand. That is part of why I asked about the pulse. IMO the more random the flow, the better chance of things not settling. Maybe try directing your return flow INTO the pulse?

I'm hoping you're getting an understanding of what I'm saying. It's hard for me to explain and or describe in writing my experience with this pump.
The flow per say is great. If that's all one is looking for. I was hoping at the same time it would help keep things a bit cleaner by keeping detritus from settling.

Sounds like it does create flow, but just not where you need it.
And one of the places is near your sand bed.

Siphon out with water changes? I know you do them out of your sump, but just sucking that stuff up isn't going to disturb the tank that much.

Girl we're on the same page-lol. Did a WC day before yesterday and siphoned those bad boys clean. Gotta medium sized fine meshed fishnet I used to catch the sand. Slowly but surely it's all getting removed.
I've been removing sand/water/bubble algae/dead spots for months now. Eventually I'll be bare bottom bubble algae free-lol.

Back