H.O.T. Magnum

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

flugelnuss

Clownfish
Anyone have any experience using one of these on a reef tank? I don't have the room for a sump, and have been using an emperor 280 for my 46 gallon. I got a HOT Magnum yesterday because someone gave me a gift certificate to Petsmart, and there really isn't any marine stuff there. I was planning on using it on my 29g brackish tank, but now am seriously considering using it to replace the emperor.

TIA!
Jeff

Hey Jeff,
We are using a Hot Magnum on a 25 gal bowfront. Not using the bio-wheel, just adding carbon. Also using a bac-pac skimmer. The Hot magnum also has a micron filter you can use for water polishing. Hope that helps.
Scott:cool:

Scott,
Thanks for the info. Have you ever just tried using live rock in it as for filtration, like how they do in sumps?
Thanks! Jeff

Jeff, The Bowfront has about 25 lbs live rock in the tank. There is no sump. The Hot magnum is being used basically for carbon. Be sure to do reg maintence and clean detritus. I have never tried to put LR or rubble in the magnum itself. The LR and skimmer are the main filtration sources. I suppose you could hang the magnum on a sump to hide it from view.

Scott

hot magnum

I know of someone a lady who is a firm beliver in no sand just elevated live rock and skimming and she ran a 80 gallon reef on a magnum 350 with the bio weels and she said it worked just fine but she belived the bioweels were the main source of filtration (bacterial not mechanical) and the charcoal was just secondary any way I am new and just telling you of 1 reef keepers sucess with a similar model :)

Back