hair algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
im starting to get some hair algae. all my levels are perfect and theres plenty of flow. i even have it growning on my hydor power heads. any easy way to get rid of it?

I would say water changes with good RODI water and maybe cutting back a little on your photo period. Maybe a couple turbo snails or an emerald crab.

Do you have a media reactor? I would run carbon and some sort of phosphate remover. It will go away once removing the nutrients feeding it.

Last edited:
Try getting some chestnut snails. Very good cleaner snail and the work faster that most. Did I read correctly that your using a magnum 350 with the biowheels still intact? If so you need to remove those bio wheels. You may want to look at upgrading the Prizm Deluxe skimmer that you mentioned too. It isn't a very good skimmer for heavy bio loads.

Hope this helps,
Alex

How often do you feed you tank. The hair algae feeds on nitrates so you probably do have some nitrates in your tank.

Try getting some chestnut snails. Very good cleaner snail and the work faster that most. Did I read correctly that your using a magnum 350 with the biowheels still intact? If so you need to remove those bio wheels. You may want to look at upgrading the Prizm Deluxe skimmer that you mentioned too. It isn't a very good skimmer for heavy bio loads.

Hope this helps,
Alex

i got rid of the 350 and stuff along time ago. i just use a sump and a aqua c skimmer now and i have a tek light fixture 6 bulb with the geisman bulbs i do have my photo period maybe a little one. 12-10 right now. but i do have a giant fluval fx5 canister i guess ill hook back up and run sum carbon and sum phosphate pads thru it for awhile. i did take all the algae the skimmer and everything out of my sump today and rinsed it out and cleaned all my power heads. then i took a tooth brush to the hair algae. the more i think about it i think the algae started when i unplugged my fluval filter a a couple months ago

Back