Halichoeres Melanurus/ Tail spot wrasse.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wrightme43

Hi everybody. Well he made it happy thru quar. Now he is in the reef. I am unable to get a good pic and upload it. So these wild photos will have to do. Its called the tail spot wrasse, Halichoeres Melanurus. Cool Cool Cool!!!!!! Really a personable fish. He wore the pod population out in my experimental quar tank. I have two quar tanks. Difficult fish get a try at the tank with lots of algae, pod piles, and sand. If they get sick it is to sit for 30 days no fish, and the sick fish are to be moved to the bare bottom with ceramic pots for treatment. He came out of the expermintal tank fat and happy. Eats new life spectrum and any other food I throw in. Great fish so far. What do you think? Steve

I wonder if they will eat zoo-eating nudibranchs. I know some people are experimenting with different wrasses for that problem.

Nice looking fish Steve :)

- Elmo

He seems to eat, the copes, amphios, and planaira. I dont know where they came from, I do know its my fault I have them in my reef. He seems to be eating them. Its hard to tell yet. Just as soon as I get my new video card for my good computer, I will post a pic of mine. Thanks. Steve

Great shots Steve!

Hey thats one fine Wrasse Steve I have wanted to incorporate one of the Halichoeres Melanurus In my tank with my Leopards But I don't think they would all get along so when i build my 75 I will blend in the whole team !
Please keep me posted on how she is doing and It sounds that she is is doing great!Hey Steve have you read the Reef Aquarium Vol 1 ??? Check out page # 307 Ya she will keep that tank clean!!!! :)

wrightme43 said:
Hi everybody. Well he made it happy thru quar. Now he is in the reef. I am unable to get a good pic and upload it. So these wild photos will have to do. Its called the tail spot wrasse, Halichoeres Melanurus. Cool Cool Cool!!!!!! Really a personable fish. He wore the pod population out in my experimental quar tank. I have two quar tanks. Difficult fish get a try at the tank with lots of algae, pod piles, and sand. If they get sick it is to sit for 30 days no fish, and the sick fish are to be moved to the bare bottom with ceramic pots for treatment. He came out of the expermintal tank fat and happy. Eats new life spectrum and any other food I throw in. Great fish so far. What do you think? Steve

Hey Thanks, I dont have that book, its on the list. Next book purchase is from lfs. He has all 6 of a set of books on just fishes. 140$ Normally 60$ each book. I will keep you updated. As of today he/she is brave out in the open, and aggressively feeding on the rock and any food I throw in. Very observant of his surroundings, and watches people intently. And FAST!!!! Like a jet fighter. Steve

Great Book Steve!

Well to wet your appetite Steve: Charles Delbeek And Julian Sprung really go out and inform you on how the Halichoeres Melanurus Is a very good asset to add to a Clam tank they will actively go after Parasitic Snails :eek: The...Book has great pictures of the Halichoeres Melanurus as well ...This Fish sounds very much like My leopards ...Great job on getting one setting in your tank Steve!

wrightme43 said:
Hey Thanks, I dont have that book, its on the list. Next book purchase is from lfs. He has all 6 of a set of books on just fishes. 140$ Normally 60$ each book. I will keep you updated. As of today he/she is brave out in the open, and aggressively feeding on the rock and any food I throw in. Very observant of his surroundings, and watches people intently. And FAST!!!! Like a jet fighter. Steve

Here are some photos of mine, got two while he wanted fed. I was trying to take pictures of zoos. LOL but he insisted. They are photoshoped to get as close as I could to real life. He actually looks cooler in the tank.

I have a halichoeres argus, a beautiful cousin of the melanurus, together with a halichoeres iridis. They are great fish, very active and curious.
Congratulations with yours, you'll love him!

Bye from Holland
eRPee

I like him Steve! Never seen one like that before. Is he one of those wrasses that loves to bury himself in sand? Cool fishy and very colorful...

LOL cool thanks guys and Gabby. LOL
Yep Krish he likes to bury himself. Now he is all pissed cause there is no sand or nothing. So he just sorta curls up and lays on the bottom in a rock cave. Really a great fish. Growing fast and still getting prettier.

Sand Jar Make the guy a home!

Hey Steve when I Quarientined my Leopards I would put a small glass jar of sand in the Tank and they don't take to long to figgure out how that works ;)

wrightme43 said:
LOL cool thanks guys and Gabby. LOL
Yep Krish he likes to bury himself. Now he is all pissed cause there is no sand or nothing. So he just sorta curls up and lays on the bottom in a rock cave. Really a great fish. Growing fast and still getting prettier.

The Apprentice said:
Hey Steve when I Quarientined my Leopards I would put a small glass jar of sand in the Tank and they don't take to long to figgure out how that works ;)
Sand? In your tank? LOL LOL LOL
I have one of the strangest quar setups you have ever seen. I have a normal one, another normal one, and one that is a 55 with sand about 3 inchs think for about 20" tank length, the rest is live rock rubble, full of pods and such. I grow calupera and chateo in it. I put the fish in there first. If it gets sick it goes into a treatment tank and that tank is left fallow with no fish. It works great with picky eaters and delicate fish that need live food. It also has flower pots for hidey holes. I know I am wierd and do strange things. Then again if nobody does different stuff nobody will learn to do different stuff.

But Steve Sand is your Wrasses Friend :D

wrightme43 said:
I have one of the strangest quar setups you have ever seen. I have a normal one, another normal one, and one that is a 55 with sand about 3 inchs think for about 20" tank length, the rest is live rock rubble, full of pods and such. I grow calupera and chateo in it. I put the fish in there first. If it gets sick it goes into a treatment tank and that tank is left fallow with no fish. It works great with picky eaters and delicate fish that need live food. It also has flower pots for hidey holes. I know I am wierd and do strange things. Then again if nobody does different stuff nobody will learn to do different stuff.

The Apprentice said:
But Steve Sand is your Wrasses Friend :D
LOL
Yeah but now he sleeps in a wrassehole. LOL

You probley never met him but that was a guys handle on here last year. Funny funny guy. He moved and got out of the hobby.

hehe poor wrass.. no sand for him :D .
well dood like i told you before you are not weird I AM :badgrin: :D , besides i'm still holding the title for having tooth brushes in my set up :D .
by the way is he getting a long with the other fishes or does he fight sometimes dood?

Acts like the other fish are only there to amuse him. Doesnt even really seem to notice them. Even leaves the shrimp alone.

Back