Halide Bulb Compatibility question, help please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

artguy1

I have an old Coralife Metal Halide System that I bought many years ago direct from Energy Savers. They were only offering the (2) 175 watt 5500 degree K bulbs in an OAK enclosure ventilated by a fan at one end. Anybody remember these?

I am rebuilding the wood enclosure and would like to upgrade the bulbs to a higher kelvin rating.

Question: How can I be sure that a bulb I buy is compatible? Am I stuck with 5500 degree K? What do I look for in terms of Ballast markings vs. Halide bulb possibilities?

Asking the reef brain trust here. I'm sure somebody has some insight and current + old knowledge. Any help would be appreciated please.

artguy1

The K rating is color in lieu of actual temperature. Pick the Color (Krating) that you prefer. Be sure it is rated to the ballast ie 175 watt

Some of the older ballast have trouble on the initial start up with a higher K bulb. I had a very old school ballast that would fire a 6500k hamiltion but not a 10K ushio or XM. After trial and error I did find the ballast would indeed fire a 14k hamilton.

Your best bet would be to take it into Blue Sierra and try a couple options. Jonas is who helped my out until we found a bulb that worked. They have an extensive selection of halide bulbs too.

That's what I figured BCT182

Thanks brotha for the insight. I will do just that, good idea. Say, Jason should be calling you about us coming over, has he done that yet man? Lemme know

Some of the older ballast have trouble on the initial start up with a higher K bulb. I had a very old school ballast that would fire a 6500k hamiltion but not a 10K ushio or XM. After trial and error I did find the ballast would indeed fire a 14k hamilton.

Your best bet would be to take it into Blue Sierra and try a couple options. Jonas is who helped my out until we found a bulb that worked. They have an extensive selection of halide bulbs too.

Back