Hammer Coral

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Aquatic Guru

I was thinking of purchasing a hammer coral but the downfall is that it's temperament is aggressive. It looks really cool. Do anyone here have one? How has it been for you? Do anyone recommend me getting one. I had a small frag of a frogspawn a couple months ago and it stung some of my other corals. So...I threw it out! Haha. Don't worry it was cheap. I guess if I purchase one, I would have to keep it away from other corals and give it some room to grow. I only have a 20 gallon long and it's full of soft corals.

I have a couple of branching hammers and they are fine in my tank. They do have their space. I have other corals within an inch or two with no attacks.

mmkeeper said:
I have a couple of branching hammers and they are fine in my tank. They do have their space. I have other corals within an inch or two with no attacks.

Thats' cool....still debating if I should get those. Hmmmm..

If you didnt like the way Frogspawn behaved you wont like hammer. Its more aggresive and more apt to send out stinging tentcles.

wrightme43 said:
If you didnt like the way Frogspawn behaved you wont like hammer. Its more aggresive and more apt to send out stinging tentcles.

You know, what you just said made me changed my mind. Thanks.

If it is aquacultured or not throwing a coral in the garbage is sooooo wrong

I've had a Hammer coral for quite some time with no problems. It's on my sand bed and other corals aren't very far away.

i agree with my buddy Steve.
hammer corals are quite agressive and for the size of your tank i would't recomend it dood.
If you really want a hammer i'd suggest you get rid of some of your softies (don't throw them away :p, just pass them down or trade them for something kewl at your local store ;) ) so you can make quite some space for the hammer and i'd make sure it doesn't hurt other corals, that's the only way i can see it :).

Back