Harlequin Tusk (spelling)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

roscoe

I just wanted to see if anyone here has successfully kept a Harlequin tusk is full blown SPS/LPS tank? I hear mixed reviews on them some say they are reef safe and some say not. If I didn't have snails, hermits, shrimp or clams would it be OK to have it in a SPS dominated tank? Should I even risk it? I've been intrigued by this particular fish ever since I started SW such a vibrantly colored fish and the blue fangs look awsome LOL.. I had one in a FOWLR but never with corals.

I have seen a Harlequin Tusk in a full blown reef tank, here in Spokane. However, this tank is 2500 gallons. As far as I know, the Tusk does do some damage. I'm not sure how much damage it does, but in a tank of this size, I'd imagine the damage is limited.

i think augustus has one in his 100 gallon lps tank you should ask him how it is doing in there at least he did when i was over there a month or so ago

I am thinking about putting one in my 180. Around a year after the tank is set-up. I know in a 2500g tank I wouldn't be as concrened since there is soooo much more room and other things it can mess with. This guy will be in a 180 if I decide to still get the HT. I think I might experiment in a smaller tank with SPS I don't care too much for and see how it goes.

Looks as though I have been beaconed :p. I have kept two sally lightfoot crabs with mine and he has been fine, although I wouldn't trust them with any other type of motile invert that can't fight back well. One thing that I will point out though, is that they (IME) are almost worst than triggers during feeding time. Not good when you have to try and spot feed, or get food to non passive fish. He never seems to get full.

I hope that will help a little bit and good luck :)

-augustus

Looks as though I have been beaconed :p. I have kept two sally lightfoot crabs with mine and he has been fine, although I wouldn't trust them with any other type of motile invert that can't fight back well. One thing that I will point out though, is that they (IME) are almost worst than triggers during feeding time. Not good when you have to try and spot feed, or get food to non passive fish. He never seems to get full.

I hope that will help a little bit and good luck :)

-augustus

Thanks Augustus!! He never bothered your corals?

there is one for sale in orting 60 bucks for 4inch HT just a thought i didnt know if he would harm my other fish

there is one for sale in orting 60 bucks for 4inch HT just a thought i didnt know if he would harm my other fish

Slim I am not looking to get one for at least a year after the 180 is set-up. That is a great deal for $60 bucks though. thanks for the heads up though!

Thanks for the info Sid! I'm aware of the crabs, shrimp and other motile inverts. Just want to make sure I don't put one in and all my prized corals get chomped up.:eek:

What do you guys think about their aggresion. The one I had a long time ago was a pig and it was all by itself. I hope it isn't such a greedy/aggresive feeder with other inhabitants with it.

I had a h tusk in my first reef setup 5 yrs ago, an they are beautiful fish other then the fact he dominated all my snails, he was for sure worth it, i had semi aggressive fish with him and they all got a long great and he never nipped at any of my corals. Now he has a new owner which i sold my whole setup to at the time. I make visits often, boy i wish i had a bigger tank cuz i would snatch one up instantly! I would say go for it roscoe!

Back