Harlequins

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OmarD

Harlequin Attack II! - video Sep 07

(Harlequin has trouble with large CC star until help arrives)

Harly20.jpg

(Previously posted)

Harlequin Attack I - video Aug 07

(Harlequin vs. Shifting Sand Star)

Has anyone ever tried feeding harlequins PNW starfish (maybe a leg at a time) ?

More pics of my shrimp.

Last edited:
the star might disinigrate before the shrimps have time to consume, might work if removed within a short time before significant pollution takes place.

Is it "normal" to put a starfish in the tank so those shrimp have something to eat??? That seems pretty vicious.....
:evil:

Last edited:
This is our harlequin shrimp that we have had for going on a month and a half now.
Shrimp1.JPG

and with what I call his bagged lunch:

Shrimp2.JPG

As for how much we spend to feed him...I buy a chocolate chip starfish which is the starfish in the 2nd picture. They cost $6 from our LFS. He usually takes about a week to a week and half to consume it. Then we wait a week to a week and a half and give him another chocolate chip. So takes around $12 a month to feed him. We usually can tell when he's hungry. While he's feeding he tries to take his starfish and hide and we have to look around and through the rock to see him. But when he's hungry...he comes out and roams the tank...my wife says to show off...I quietly tell myself...he's hunting ;)

Is it "normal" to put a starfish in the tank so those shrimp have something to eat??? That seems pretty vicious.....

It is pretty vicious....of course what is happening in the fish tank is the same thing that is happening in the open ocean. Whether your a evolutionist, creationist or somewhere in between...we as reef tank hobbyist didn't create the harlequin to satisfy our inner urges...he came from somewhere else. So my advice is if you like harlequins and their predatory nature...then this is the tread to be in...however if you don't like what they eat or how they eat...you should probably mark the term harlequin as a subject to stay away from. Same as mantis shrimp...thats another nasty shrimp who is vicious on invertebrates.

I have this guy listed in the members showcase:

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29475

Last edited:
the best thing I have found to feed the consistantly for free is the little mini starfish , they can be preadetory to some corals but the shrimp seem to keep the population under control and the starfish multiply on their own so it all just kind of takes care of itself like an eco system should

the best thing I have found to feed the consistantly for free is the little mini starfish , they can be preadetory to some corals but the shrimp seem to keep the population under control and the starfish multiply on their own so it all just kind of takes care of itself like an eco system should

If you are referring to asterina's - which I do have in tank, no way they would reproduce fast enough to feed two hungry harlequins.

Actually have never seen them eat them, but population seems to be way down when they used to be quite a nuisance. :confused:

Back