Has anybody has experience with serpent star injuries

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have a very large serpent star in my 155 .Normally he hides by day but right now I saw him out and about and saw to large half an inch rips in his round body . he seems to move around fine and is looking for food , but I am really worried . Earlier today I saw transparent gue floating in the tank and do not know if he is releasing any toxins . Has anybody seen this before and is he able to heal from such a large injury . ? And what could be the reason for it ? Could he have been stuck? I have seen a large shell ( 5 inches) out of place and he likes to hide in them? i would love to hear your input!!!!THANKS!!!

I have no previous experience with them in particular but I know from other species of starfish that as long as they are still able to feed and have a majority of their center disc that they can recover

No, its not a form of spawning/reproduction moreso it was probably either getting pinched by a shift in the rock or a bite from a fish/hermit

I'm pretty sure if the goo was from the starfish that it was just moucus from the injury kinda like a bleeding wound

Short update..serpent star split in four pieces..all pieces are hurled up together but moving individually..not very interested in food ...will see if my new 4 serpents survive

Back