Has anyone used the CustomFlo water system?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NewGirl

Hi there,

I'm new to saltwater fishkeeping, and I'm doing lots and lots and LOTS of reading and research while setting up my tank and gathering equipment. I'm trying to decide on water flow for my tank. It's going to be mostly LPS with fish. So far I've got two Tunze 6101's, and I'm looking for something a little extra. I like the idea of the closed loop system in addition to the Tunzes, but I really don't want to drill my tank. I came across the Pentair Aquatics CustomFlo Water System, and am interested. Has anyone ever used this on their tank, and if so, would they recommend it? :)

Hello Newgirl,
I am not sure what size tank you have. Tunze 6101's push a lot of flow. The thing I wish people would have told me first was how important aquascaping is. You want to place your rock in middle of tank so water flow hits as much of rock as possible. A person I would look up for reference on this would be Jake Adams. Jakes specialty is fluid dynamics.
If you use any type of media filter, you have to be prepared to change out media as needed. This means extra work, time and money.
The easiest method in my oppinion is a good protien skimmer with flow suspending things in water column. You rock will do a lot of work for you if placed correctly.

You are on the right track on reading as much as possible.

:)Thanks so much for the reply. My tank size is 48" long x 24" wide by 30" high. I'm planning on having a sump with refugium for filtration, no media filter. I do have my protein skimmer--it's an H&S A150 rated for a 210-gallon tank. Roger from Tunze USA advised me as to the Tunzes, and I think I'm going to place them one on each side of the tank, facing the front. I plan on arranging my live rock in two island-type formations, with an open space in the middle; I kind of like that look. The CustomFlo system did look interesting for ciculation lower down in the tank; I'll think about it some more. Thanks again for the kind advice.:D

NewGirl,
You should easily have enough flow. Roger is awesome at Tunze USA. It sounds like a awesome set up. You should be able to do SPS with proper lighting.

:DCool! Thanks, Ed. I think I will stick with the Tunzes and scrap the CustomFlo idea. I've got my light fixture: it's the Current USA Outer Orbit 250watt HQI/T5 that I'm going to hang from the ceiling over the tank, which I'm going to use eggcrate to cover. I probably will get some SPS corals in the future. Oh, man, I'm getting really excited now!::D:lol:

Back