Have you ever bought fish in Canada and brought it over the border?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dave 777

Stingray guy
There is a guy in BC that has 2 stingrays I want. Has anyone ever crossed the border with fish? Were you honest about it? I don't want to hide anything and get busted for smuggling fish. Has anyone ever done this. Thanks

Dave

Fish are fine, corals are not.

It's all in accordance with CITES.

Specifically, reef rock is not permitted, as it is considered within Scleractinia. I would say call the US customs service and ask them before traveling.

It really isnt worth the risk to get caught smuggling. You could risk fines, jail time, and also being on an NSA watch list.

-Josh-:cool:

Especially now days honesty is the best policy when bringing stuff over the border. Thanks for the replies. Anyone else?

Your best bet would probably be to call the Border Patrol and ask them who you'd need to contact or if there are regulations or permits you'd need. I have sent fish TO canada with friends a few times and they only asked to see the invoices so they could pay duty on them. The CITES fish that are protected (like asian arows) are a whopping fine if you try to haul them back, but as long as they are legal to have, you shouldn't have a problem if you have the right permits and forms. It would definitely be best to have someone's name high enough up in the food chain to be able to refer to when you're telling them you were told it would all be fine ;).

Barbie

I live in Blaine and do most of my fish shopping in BC as our stores are less than what they have up there for the time traveled. Corals, inverts and LR is a no go, fish as long as they are legal here are good to go, i.e. no piranah, aisian arrowana as these are legal in BC. Just tell them when you come in that you went to pick up some aqarium fish, you may get pulled in to be searched but they will just look up the fish on the computer and let you through. I was stopped one time for 2 false percs and a blue line grouper, took an extra 30 minutes but the boarder was slow and they were cool about it. I'll look I had a number to the main lady for BC for permits and all the CITIES laws, talked with her for an hours trying to figure out how to bring back coral as the shops up there have some nice stuff just finally gave up as it was way to much of a pain in the a(@!.

-Jason

So you guys all volunteer "I have some saltwater fish and critters with me, which may or may not be legal."

not to hijack the thread.... but.....=)

im going to california in about 2 weeks... and i heard they are banning liquids from carry-ons? or somehting?! if thats the case.. would it be possible to buy corals and bring it back up to washington? any ideas or suggestions would be awesomethanks=)

Last edited:
not to hijack the thread.... but.....=)

im going to california in about 2 weeks... and i heard they are banning liquids from carry-ons? or somehting?! if thats the case.. would it be possible to buy corals and bring it back up to washington? any ideas or suggestions would be awesomethanks=)

you're allowed 4 ounces of liquid now. i'd suggest shipping your corals overnight to yourself on your last day there.

I called US customs and border patrol and the lady said it would be no problem, there's no forms or anything. Just tell them whay you have and they will let you through. You can bring tropical fish into the US as long as your aren't bringing in large quantities and they are legal to own.

Liquids on aircrafts... Nothing in carryon's, but I believe you can put them in a checked bag (cooler)

-Josh-:cool:

Back