Heaters - Need Help ASAP

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

af_hall14

Our heater went out on our 120 gallon tank. AAAHH!!! I need one ASAP. We have an 800 watt but from what I'm reading our 120 gallon tank does not need one that high?

What does everyone think??

Amber

True. You do not need one that high. 350-400 will do the trick.

You could also put two heaters in if you want to be sure...

And that size heater in a sump is ok? Just want to make sure before I order.... Got to have something quickly!! Any tricks to keeping temp up until we get one - there is not a store close by.

sure, you can put those in a sump.

As far as keeping your temp up,

turn up your house heater
put an electric blanket on it
put heat-packs on it (the kind you buy for back aches or menstrual cramps that put out heat for 4-8 hours)
turn warm lamps towards it

How long are you going to have to wait before getting a heater? What is the temp in your house?

The temp in our house stays at 70 degrees. I guess I should keep the lights on all night but that's going to be disastrous as far as algae goes but hey, I'd rather not lose my fish. We have an expensive Odyssea titanium heater and it's just been crap since we got it. Any recommendations on brand to go with?

Af Hall,

If I'm understanding you correctly, your heater died... you currently have a 800watt heater, but don't want to use it?

For a "for now" fix, put the 800 watt heater into your sump, until you purchase what you will end up buying. It will be pleanty to heat your tank for you without worrying about wrapping your tank in an electric blanket or any of those other emergency needs.

Once your new heater arrives, simply swap out the 800watt for the new one, and you again have the 800 for a spare.

As for what brand of heaters to use, I like the Finex heaters, but there are several good brands out there that I have seen other's here talk about... just use the "SEARCH" feature here, and type in "Heater"... and see what comes up.

No Ed, you are mistaken. The heater in the tank is an 800 watt. It is dead. We need a new one. I have been looking on internet and am seeing that our tank doesn't need one with that much wattage. I think a 400-500 will do for our tank. We must order one immediately. We have no heat going to the tank. :(

Okay... I wasn't sure I was understanding what you were meaning.

Do you have any local fish stores available? Yes, their prices are a tad more than what you will find online, but doing something right now also has its benifits. :)

I would think a 400watt heater should be just fine for your 120. Two, give you the assurance that if one stops working, you still have heat...but doesn't help if the one that stops happen to stop in the HEAT mode. ;) Is your old Odyssea the type that came with a controller? If that controller is still working, you most likely will be able to use that with what ever new heater you purchase also... for added "Feel good-ability". :D

Ok thanks... I've put in a call to the one and only saltwater store within 100 miles. They are checking on prices but it will most likely be Thursday before they can get one. That, still, is quicker than online. I'll just keep the lights running. It helps keep the water up. My Odyssea does have the controller. We are planning on using it on a new one. No need to pay that extra money for something that still works. Thanks again!

Back