Heating Top Off Water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NaH2O

Well, I had this great idea, while I was filling my 5 gallon doser with RO/DI water straight out of the unit. What if I heated it? Hmmm.....maybe if I fill up the duct work with water, the heat from the furnace will warm it up. Then I can suck it into a shop vac and dump it into the tank!!

Of course this isn't a good idea. On accident, I was filling my 5 gallon doser for my top off water straight out of the RO/DI unit. Well, I had left the IV line off (yes, it was removed), so the jug filled so far, then drained into the floor vent (I had the jug sitting on the vent, instead of the utility sink where it belonged). Oh....I'd say about 15 gallons or so.....about 6 hours worth. The lightbulb was dim in my head yesterday, so I was thinking something must have been wrong with my RO/DI unit - it was taking way too long. By the time I went in the Laundry room, it had been draining into the vent for a very long time. Out came the shop vac (which we filled, and it is a larger shop vac), and off went 25 feet of duct work. Thankfully, the water didn't make it all the way into the furnace. :eek: Definately not one of my more shining moments, but sometimes the wind blows just right through my skull and makes the most beautiful whistling sound you ever heard. :rolleyes:

Well Duh Nikki,

Next time just add a drain plug in the duct and put the topoff container under..........Problem fixed.

ROFL I have to commend you on your advance thinking. I would have never come up with such an elaborate way of heating the top off water. I always just take a tiger torch to it, lol

Mike

Back