Helfrichi Firefish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'm adding one to my wish list. A gorgeous fish - what can you you tell me about them?

Oh man. I first saw these fish at a store in Washington DC. But they came with a price tag of $150 each. Beautiful! I'd love to get one.. maybe I'll wait until after I'm confident that I can keep a $100 fish alive. On a side note - our bi-color blenny from your shop is doing well. Hope to see a bit more of him in the future. He's great at hiding.

Awesome looking fish but they have a tendency to jump out of the tank or at least mine did. I had a regular firefish and I was upset when I saw $25 laying on the floor with my dog pawing at it. Can't imagine a $150 sushi snack for the pooch.

Great pic! Is that a macro lens? If so what speed and exposure did you use? I have an older Canon Rebel XTi with the 100 Macro lens and it's great for corals but the fish move to fast and I end up with a blur.

Yeah, definitely want a tank with a top on it for dartfish...

Thanks. :) Nope, was just the kit 18-55mm lens that comes with the Rebels. The newer ones have IS which makes fish pics a bit easier... Some of the EXIF info on the image:

Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture f/7.1
Focal Length 35 mm
ISO Speed 200

Was using 2 Maxspect LED fixtures over the tank for light, which was BRIGHT AS HELL. lol. And which is how I got to use a 1/100 shutter speed. The photo was run through some noise reduction and resharpening in PS CS4 to fix some of the grain and whatnot from the ISO 200.

My 18-55 didn't come with the IS but the first lens I bought 28-135 does have the IS which is great. The pooch also got to the 18-55 (she was a pup) so I may need something in between. My lighting also isn't anywhere near that bright and I hate the look a flash gives not to mention the affect it may have on the fish. I wouldn't think a 200 ISO would give off enough noise to need PS. I thought the lower the ISO the less noise. Still a relative newbie to the camera so I know squat.
Lot's of practicing to do.

Again, nice pics and thanks for the extra EXIF info.

BTW - nobody told me I would be required to upgrade my camera and photography skills in addition to everything else!! :frusty:

No worries Gort. I'm running around with a little Kodak that can't capture a moving object for anything.. Hope that helps you feel better. :)

Well - my Canon A590 does have an "Aquarium" setting!! :cool:

Nice photography! What camera did you use. It's really amazing how the beauty of the fish blooms.

Back