Hello, ahh more questions?!?!?!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zachrabbit15

So jumped ship from the plan and am buying a complete 90g set-up. Picking it up Thursday!! So needing to do some shopping to get everything ready to go.

Shopping list so far:

1. Salt mix, anyone want to recomend a good mix that is readly avalable?

2. Live Rock, looking to pick up 60+ lbs. Who local or on-line has good quality live rock at a respectable cost? I plan on just having the live rock in the tank for at least a month to help cylce and get the system leveled out.

3. Lighting, tank comes with 2 175 HQI's with reflectors. I also have a 120w dimmable LED pendant and a 150w HQI set-up.I had planned on staying with nothing more than LPS but with the added tank size I might try my hand at some SPS. My options, just run the two 175's, add either the LED or the 150 too the current lighting, or sell all the HQI's and add another LED? Suggestions?

4. Suppliments and dosing, I have no clue please teach me :pray2:

Thanks for any help, words of wisdom, or shoves in the right direction. I love to talk so if you have the time let me know, would love to pic the forums collective brain!!

salt use reef crystals. live rock definitely buy from some1 on here and bleach and cure it. "start fresh" and not on someone elses pests. they say it is pest free but they just have never seen any. its amazing what comes out of live rock. for dosing use bulk reef supply's 2 part and magnesium. supplements i feed my coral coral frenzy but many think feeding your coral is not needed. and for fish i make blender mush. go to seafood dept and buy some of everything blend it up add garlic juice then freeze it and thaw only what i need every other day. buy good test kits like hanna checker (ease of digital no matching colors). and i use red sea for magnesium testing.

Reef Crystals would be my choice.
Live rock is live rock. You will get unwanted pests. IMO You are better off starting a tank with dry rock. Check out our sponsors, some of them will carry rock.
You will save a bunch of money in the long run if you bite the bullet now and get a good led lite system. OBD is one of our sponsors that carry a very nice affordable led system.
Supplements and dosing can wait for a while. Do your homework on how you want to add supplements and what type you will need in the future. I ran my mixed reef for 2 years before I started to dose.
Dont forget to post up pics of your build!!!

Im onboard with peppie. Start with dry rock and sand, if you use sand. Save your money for an led setup. OBD has a nice led setup, or if your a diy type, rapid led has kits to build your own. Ive been in the hobby for a couple years. In my display at home, i used "pest free" rock from craigslist mixed with rock from my lfs. Lfs has aptasia, got rid of that easy enough. The rock i got off cl, had majono. Ill take aptasia over majono any fay! I just found a majono on my overflow 2 days ago after thinking i got rid of it all. I hadnt seen any in almost 2 months, but there it was. I wouldnt dose anything untill you read up on what your dosing. Also. Dont be suprised if it takes more than a month to cycle. Remember, when its done cycling, your tank is still new and not established. Dont rush it. Dont dive right into keeping sps until you have an understanding of what sps requirements are. Sps can get really expensive if it keeps dying and you dont understand why. Do your homework. As for salt, i use plain ol instant ocean, the purple bucket. I do regular weekly 10% water changes and have a mixed reef, softies, sps, lps. I dont dose anything. My system doesnt require it. If i may ask, what kind of filtration? Skimmer?

I would probly go with dead rock and sand . Or get the rock from a reliable person on here. Live rock will pretty much always have some kinda pest. And sand is sand, just get the cheap sand and get a cup of live sand from a fellow reefer and put it in your tank to seed your sand and rock. JMO

Last edited:
Hello again. Great advice and very appreciated!! So when and picked up my new set-up tonight. WOW is all I can say. Meticulous layout and very well executed. Cleanest used tank I have ever seen. Few things I plan on changing, Go from Halides to LEDs, move ATF 5g set-up to a adjacent closet/change to a 30g barrel, and maybe move up to a 30g sump tank.

Plan is to move tank into the house this weekend and start a build log than.

I would probly go with dead rock and sand . Or get the rock from a reliable person on here. Live rock will pretty much always have some kinda pest. And sand is sand, just get the cheap sand and get a cup of live sand from a fellow reefer and put it in your tank to seed your sand and rock. JMO
Im with Blk
on the rock and for salt Red Sea Pro, dosing BRS Ca, Mag, and Alk or Ca Reactor with Bio Pellets reactor from Ocean by Design. Lighting i have a Nova Extreme 6 bulbs that has worked GREAT! but looking at LED's not. Have used MH on my 34 Solana and the worked great i think that's a personal and financial call by the individual. My 2 Cents

Back