Hello from Poulsbo, WA.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

poulsbomsc.org

Thought I'd take a minute to introduce myself. I'm jon, I volunteer at the Poulsbo Marine Science Center, a non-profit dedicated to educating the public about marine life in the Puget Sound. I'm helping set up a tropical tank, and I help with care and collection of local species. All of our other tanks hold local species to the Puget sound, with the exception of course of our tropical tank. It's a pretty small center, focused towards children. We have a great touch tank, and activity room. For the adults, well you can enjoy the tanks! I'll get some new pics here soon to show off more of the center.
Looking forward to getting to know everyone, and contributing to this great online resource.
If you are ever up in Poulsbo, please stop in and enjoy. It is free to the public.
jon

Our wolf eel. (Actually a fish, not an eel.)
627AC428-4C22-4445-AE7D-7067F6AB991F-2049-00000341B8395213.jpg

Our Last octopus, we had to release her as she was getting to big, and ready to breed. We are working on collecting a new specimen now.

ad515b99.jpg

0161a410.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Jon. I was wondering when you were going to be back in town.
Looking forward to pics.

I need to get by and see the center.

This is great!!! Had no idea PMSC existed I guess my son and I will have to go on a little road trip soon. BTW Welcome to RF!!!

Yep, I'm back! Unfortunately these are all pictures you've seen. I really need to get some updated pics of the Tropical Tank. The corals you donated look great! Thanks again.
jon

not yet. we are having a hard time tracking down a baby. we are only coming across giants right now. we'll have one soon enough!
jon

that octopus looks like the 1 that kid killed and put in the back of his truck and pissed all the divers off. i mean same species.

yep. that is the same kind. i heard some people talking about it at the center. don't know much about the situation. i guess it is what it is. not all folks will have the same appreciation for creatures of the sea as others do. as long as the animal didn't go to waste i guess it's the same as going fishing. very unfortunate, IMHO, though.

a few quick photos i took today to show off the center a little bit.

the tide pool touch tank.
IMG_8169.jpg

our baby gray whale.
IMG_8168.jpg

some critters in the touch tank.
IMG_8166.jpg

IMG_8164.jpg

ahh, and Charlie and Lola.
The tropical tank still needs a lot of work, so i'm not willing to show it off. lot's of Diatoms. will have a skimmer running on it this week, and hopefully i can get a hold of some more rock soon.
IMG_8178-1.jpg

What kind of coral you keeping in your tank? How big? How much rock you looking for? I might have some rock to donate. Im sure i can get you some coral. Sps, lps, or softie type tank?

keeping it very simple. softies, and some easy LPS (hammer, frogspawn). no sps. this system is run by volunteers when i'm not around, so anything more than feeding and water changing is a tough sell.
right now i have a couple of leathers, the one shown is donated by iPisces, some xenia, and that's about it. iPisces was also generous enough to donate a skimmer that needed a pump, just got around to ordering the pump so i'll have that running next week. currently it's got 2 canister filters on it.
this is how much rock i have now. not much. i am going to pick up about 50lbs of dry rock from someone on craigslist, so we'll se where that get's me.
any, and all donations are welcome. we often get old gear from the community. one way or another we put it to use. science experiments, attempting to raise baby octopus, hatching out sea stars, urchins. pretty much whatever we feel like having fun with.
i'll send you a pm with my contact info and we can work something out.
thanks
jon
IMG_0234.jpg

I got a bunch of rock ill get to you. Pest free and all! Also have a decent size leather and some pink pulsing hands i can get to you at the same time. I just sold off all my extra equipment.

Back