Hello! Im a bit of a newby to the salt world.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Valdez

So i have a 29 gallon tank set up for salt with out any fish in it. I have live rock on the way and i am about to cure it. I am totally new to the world of salt water and would appreciate any knowledge, tips or help getting to know this great hobby.

Hello Valdez
Welcome to Reef Frontiers
Reading as much as you can, saltwater magazines, YouTube saltwater videos, visit some saltwater fishstores and ask questions and more reading, also you will need plenty of patience lol, I wish I had more of that he he he, also a little more information on your set up will be really helpfull, plenty of cool people on this website, allways willing to help

Welcome to Reef Frontiers. And welcome to the hobby.

Have you done any reading?

Tell us more about what you have for your system. Are you running a sump? Hang on the back filter? Skimmer of any kind? What you are thinking of keeping in your tank.

Looking forward to following along with the progress or your tank.

Like what was mentioned before, time and patience. Do lots of research, and figure out what direction you would like to go with the tank. Then take it from there

Thank you everyone for the advice. I have done some reading and i am still reading about all sorts of things. i keep finding that the more that i read the less i really know... As for my tank i have a 29 gal. tank with 2 30 gal. canister filters as well as an over the top 30 gal filter, as of now no skimmer. I have intentions of getting one when i make the move to reef, (long...long...long way off still...lol) unless i need one sooner. i am using crushed coral substrate and I am getting 22 lbs. of Fiji live rock that will be here tomorrow. In regards to the direction of my tanks life; I plan to eventually go to reef with soft coral and a sea anemone or two, with reef friendly inverts, and a clown fish, and some other reef friendly fish. more short term on the other hand i want to do inverts to start out. The main thing that i am concerned about is that my alkalinity has dropped to nearly 0 and im getting my live rock tomorrow... i have no clue why this is, and i was wondering if that will effect my live rock... i was also wondering if there is any thing that i can do to change this?

What are your calcium and magnesium levels? It is highly unlikely alk is actually at zero. The live rock will help buffer and stabilize the system.
Test ca, mg, alk, and salinity and post here please.
It is a lot to take in when you are just getting started. Try to make it to a meeting and talk with local reefers. Things will start to make sense.
Cheers,
jon

I will do that some time tomorrow i unfortunately wont have the test kit for all of that till then, iv been using standard six in ones in the place of the full test kit for the last three days. however as you suggested the live rock buffered the system and levels have improved. Other than that so far so good and just taking it one day at a time.

couldn't get a mg/ alk test so i have a 6in1 reading of about 200/ppm, cal is at 400/ppm and salinity is at a stable 1.023.

Ok, first of all welcome to saltwater.

Right now the ca. alk and mag testing is pretty much a waste of time and money IMO.

What tests you do need to do is ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and salinity.

The rest of the testing can wait until you get corals that will use up the ca. and alk. and mag.
Normal water changing will replenish those levels in most soft coral tanks and fish don't care.

Thank you for your help, in that case im good, i have been testing for all of those from the start. i have had a spike in nitrate but i think that is to be expected when curing live rock? i just did 50% water change, and will do another in a few days, other than a spike the other day things have been fine as far as those levels are concerned. amo-0ppm, no2-0ppm, no3-20ppm

Hi Valdez. welcome aboard. Take it slow, take it slow and finally take it slow. Also learn as much as you can and if you don't understand something, don't be shy, just ask.

As of now the levels are all looking good nitrate is still a bit high but going down every day. Once it goes to zero i plan on getting a couple of fish, maybe some cardinals, or damsels, not really sure what yet. I would love to hear some feed back and suggestions about a good first fish for my tank. Keep in mind i plan on going to a full reef aquarium some time and would really like the fish to be reef friendly. That being said, this is still my first salt tank and would also like to have a relatively sturdy fish as well. ( i would think that there are fish that have a little more forgiveness for mistakes so to speak.)

I think a cardinal is a good choice. research the fish and their aggressiveness. Not pushing you away from damsels, but there have been a lot of threads here about people trying to get a damsel out of their tank because of their aggression. And picking at coral. You want to start with the least aggressive fish.

I would stay away from damsels. They are a hardy fish but as they grow older they tend to get nasty. The cardinals are a less aggressive fish, although can show a little aggression, usually it is jsut a quick get out of my area. They are not a swimming fish, they like to hover in one place (unless it's feeding time) and due to their large eyes they like being in the dark or low light while the lights are on.

valdez,

welcome to RF...

IMO, I would forgo getting damsels as 1. they are hard to remove from a tank, and 2. well, they are just plain mean.

however, while you are waiting I would purchase this book and read it...it will answer most of your questions...

http://www.amazon.com/Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist-Microcosm-Professional/dp/1890087998

after 20yrs in the hobby, I still use it today mostly for reference, but for you is a great source of information on what do correctly, and more importantly what NOT to do.

valdez,

welcome to RF...

IMO, I would forgo getting damsels as 1. they are hard to remove from a tank, and 2. well, they are just plain mean.

however, while you are waiting I would purchase this book and read it...it will answer most of your questions...

http://www.amazon.com/Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist-Microcosm-Professional/dp/1890087998

after 20yrs in the hobby, I still use it today mostly for reference, but for you is a great source of information on what do correctly, and more importantly what NOT to do.

I have a copy of the above mentioned book I can loan you....along with others. located next door in buckley..off 234th by hwy gas.

Ok, first of all welcome to saltwater.

Right now the ca. alk and mag testing is pretty much a waste of time and money IMO.

What tests you do need to do is ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and salinity.

The rest of the testing can wait until you get corals that will use up the ca. and alk. and mag.
Normal water changing will replenish those levels in most soft coral tanks and fish don't care.

I agree completely. Also if you are interested in corals, it wont be very long before you dive in head first. Rule #1 Don't get discouraged when something dies. It WILL happen. Even when everything is perfect, things will die. Rule #2 Things get easier after a year of experience. Rule #3 Take full advantage of the vast experience here.
Welcome to saltwater and to corals when you dive in. It's a great hobby.

Back