Hello, new to the board

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

colin779

Hello, I am new to the forum and to salt water aquariums. I have been around them for many years as I was the aquarium builder for John and then Brian at IAP.

I just set up a 15 gallon aquarium to play around with and learn how to care for and maintain a salt water aquarium. I do have a 90 sitting in storage, but at my apartment just dont have the room so set it up. I am very excited to finally have my own set up (even if it is very small for the time being) and hope to do well with this hobby as i love aquariums and all the things you can put into them.

Any tips anyone has would be great, you know, just little things i may not think about or know.

Thanks for the time, Colin

Welcome to rf. There is alot of help available to here. Just ask your questions and read some of the stickies. One word of advise is for you to go slow. If you rush things in saltwater you kill things and cost yourself alot of extra $$$$.

Welcome to rf.
I like the small tank first idea, even though some say its hard to keep in check. I started with a 12 nano dx for a year before getting a 90 then 6 months later a 135. That way if it's too much work, or you underestimate the cost you aren't in it for an arm and a leg. It is addicting. good luck

Last edited:
Welcome to RF!!! :D As for any tips, the best tip anyone can give a person keeping a small tank is to watch it carefully as things are influenced real easily (like temp etc) do to the small volume of water...Also, take your time and allow things to take it's course :)

Good luck!

Colin,

IMO, the two most important pieces of equipment in a saltwater tank, esp a reef tank are: Lights and Protein Skimmers. Do alot of research on them and buy wisely. Less expensive is not always better. :)

I would also recommend you buy or borrow the following book:
"The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. Excellent overall reference book. I've been in the hobby 10yrs and still refer to it when I need to look something up on a particular genus of fish.

Welcome. My sugestion to you is to read some of the newer salt books out there, and to talk as much as possible to the people who have been where your trying to go in this hobby. Also buying equipment used can save you a lot of cash if you know what you want. Best wishes!

Thank you all for the advise.

Just got some sand from a buddy of mine and this weekend i will be going to buy some rock from someone who is selling off all of their aquarium stuff.

I cant wait to get the rock, i just keep staring at an aquarium full of sand, but i am trying to resist the urge of rushing to put stuff in. It sure is tuff.

Welcome! It's always great to see people from this side of the water on the boards ;)

Agree!

Am in Silverdale also.

Maybe we local reefers can meetup one day and showoff each others tanks. Would be nice to know someone nearby to help out with a quick question, emergency, etc.

OmarD
(Scott Davis - Ridgetop Blvd)

BTW: Need som xenia? - come by and pick up when you are ready! - Also some Kenya Tree which I am continually having to weed out.

Last edited:
Back