Hello to all

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tk480

I have a 55gal. tank with mostly soft corals. Everything is growing just fine. I have to deal with a little cynobacteria on occasion but for the most part everything is healthy. I have had my tank up and running for about 4 years. I am very curious about what might be behind the live rock in the back of the tank.
I really want to break the tank down, to redocorate,fiddle with and mostly change some things around. Is there a set time in a reef tank when it should be broken down? If it's not broke, don't fix it courses through my brain. Any suggestions? Thanks

Welcome to RF. Just hang on for a while someone will be by to help. You might want to give some more background on your system.

welcome to RF dood !! :)
when you say, break the tank down you mean upgrade, get all the water out and start right from the beggining?
i don't think there's a time when it should be done i mean unless you just wanna upgrade or just give up on the hobby :p , if you're just gonna rearange your rocks around then you don't need to break down the tank dood.
at least in my own oppinion :)

I have a 55gallon tank,Tunze 9005 protien skimmer, Current USA 50/50 10k actenic lamps x2 Maxi-jet1200 x2 for circulation, sump pump is a Quiet One 4000.

Well, IMO reaquascaping after four years would be a must. Does your tank have a DSB? If so keep in mind that disturbing it could cause some serious problems. You may stir up sulpher pockets for starters. At least, you will likley stir up so much detritious you wont be able to see in the tank far enough to stack rock. That was my issue after only one year with a shollow sand bed. I would recommend you concider removing all of the corals to a small holding tank, put the rock into coolers and clean the sand bed out (provided you have one) and start over with new sand. Depending on your maintanance, you might be half way to dealing with old tank syndrome. I would definatley save the top inch to seed the new sand if you go that route.
If your tank is bare bottom. Why have you waited so long?
Regardless of how you do it. YOur corals will likely be pi**ed off for a while and will lose some color and luster. They will bounce back.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply. I have live sand but Iguess since i have routinely vacumed to the bottom on every water change, the aerobic or anerobic filtlteration has been ruined. Like I say things look good> mabey I'm nuts. Buy the way what is DSB? Regards

Deep Sand Bed. If you have vacuumed it to the bottom regularly you should be fine.

Better get started

Back