Hello

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

don2048

Just started my first saltwater tank in Nov of 2012. Been keeping freshwater for over 40years. I have a 30gal with live rock and sand. Skimmer, wet/dry hangon refugium and large canister. Except for waiting for the cyano to go into decline, it's been wonderful and fascinating. I've already started making more live rock which plan to seed in my 30gal before transferring it to a 55gal I plan to set up later. So far only one fish-a yellow tail damsel. I plan to add another fish in the coming weeks. Wish me luck.

Wishing you luck, but only with your checkbook as the marine hobby can be very addicting! I've had freshwater for almost 25 years and while it still holds a place in my heart marine tanks really steal the rest of you and threaten to never give it back. Enjoy the life that includes over 70% of the Earth we live on! Just remember that like the Earth, great marine tanks take time, don't rush anything.

Hi and welcome to saltwater. Its a fascinating hobby, and yes a little expensive but I think you'll find it well worth it. The same skills that helped you be successful in fresh water will serve you well in salt.

Wishing you luck, but only with your checkbook as the marine hobby can be very addicting! I've had freshwater for almost 25 years and while it still holds a place in my heart marine tanks really steal the rest of you and threaten to never give it back. Enjoy the life that includes over 70% of the Earth we live on! Just remember that like the Earth, great marine tanks take time, don't rush anything.

I agree to everything you said.
I've kept FW also and still do, but its one 25 gal soon to be 55 gal FW compared to 6 SW tanks from 3 gal up to 180 gal.

Welcome to RF don2048.
look forward to following along with your progress

Saltwater is fascinating. The critters that hitch-hike on live rock are thoroughly fun to watch(that is when they come out at night) There is something that looks like a fish fry in one of the larger tunnels of the LR, a brittle star, and some kind of tiny starfish. There are these things that build sand tubes with 1-3 long tentacles grabbing sand particles and pulling them in. There are a bunch of tube worms on the rocks and sand. My Yellow-tail damsel alerts me to feed him by digging in the sand bed.

very cool. yeah, you will be surprised even years from now what new will pop up. There are a lot of critters. some good, some bad. any question as to which, just ask.

very cool. yeah, you will be surprised even years from now what new will pop up. There are a lot of critters. some good, some bad. any question as to which, just ask.

So true, nuisance critters can reproduce pretty fast and get a very stubborn foothold on a system if they aren't nipped in the bud!

Back