Help ASAP - PH and skimming issue

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bclaveria

DSB
I have a 125 gallon tank and my PH is currently at 8.88 so I bought as Neutral Regulator by Seachem which states it will raise or lower PH to 7.0. I used it to dose my tank to lower my 8.88 PH. Upon application water in the tank became cloudy but it did gradually lower my PH to 8.6. I also used carbon to get rid of the cloudiness.

Problem – Since the application, my skimmer no longer skim or produce bubbles. Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

With skimmers, basically anything added to the water even the oil from a single finger can cause a skimmer to basically shut down for a while. I know after feeding my fish, my skimmer will drop off for about 30 minutes before it picks back up and resumes skimming. Give it some time to see if it picks back up. Just another quick thought...I just swapped tanks on Friday and it is Monday, and I haven't produced any skimmate yet. Only last night, the skimmer started to produce some foam in the neck so it may take some time. All the best:)

I would also question your ph level. Are you using a monitor or a test strip. Typically tanks do not have high ph problems. Most often they suffer from low ph. I would double check your testing method and make sure your probe is freshly calibrated before making changes. It's happened to me several times.

Regards,

Pat

The coudiness coud be preciptate falling out of solution. Be careful to not drop the pH more than .2 in a 24 hr period even if it is too high. a rapid change is worse than too high or too low.

If your skimmer isn't producing any bubbles at all then most likely your venturi is blocked. The Ph lowering solution you are using, is it granular? Perhaps a piece of carbon was sucked into the line and that's what's causing it to not produce bubbles. I would check that if it doesn't start working soon.

8.88 I assume you have a ph monitor ? or test kit? Have you calibrated the probe or checked with another test kit .

Your curious bothell neighbor
:)

Paul

PH Monitor

Hello Paul -

Thanks for your input. I have both a monitor and test kit. I've calibrated the monitor as well as tested with a test kit and both results are in alignment.

Thank you,
Ben

Skimmers especially becketts are extremely sensitive to the enviornment a sudden change in barometric pressure will lower the air column I am not sure about ph changes but I would guess it would for only a little while though is it still not working ?
I am assuming you tested the ca/alk ? Do you use an air pump or let air in somehow or have a calcium reactor or kalkwasser reactor ?
I have never heard of it this high prolonged without the water chemistry being off ?

I am hoping its something simple..

:) Ben,
Are you using water that is filtered or are you treating your water with chemicals? If you ever add something to water such as buffers, please wait at least 4 hours before testing. Sometimes the readings are not accurate due to chemicals settleing.
If it were me, I would shut down your Seachem dosing device. I would do a water change with RO or RO/DI water. Check your salinity, temperature, mix with powerhead in external bucket, never mix salt in tank. Test your PH before you put premixed Saltwater into Tank, Then compare the PH in Tank to water in the Bucket. You will need to bring the ph down slowly like someone stated above, too fast will shock animals.
I hope this helps,
Ed:)

Back